[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sherman close to signing 2-year extension

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_22287950.shtml

Sherman to get 2-year extension

Packers seek to keep coach through 2007

By Pete Dougherty

PackersNews.com

Mike Sherman is on the verge of signing a contract extension to remain as coach of the Green Bay Packers through the 2007 season, sources familiar with the situation said Sunday.

Sherman and General Manager Ted Thompson agreed to parameters for the two-year extension late last week and are waiting for their representatives to finish the details and language of the deal. Barring any unexpected hitches, Sherman will soon sign the contract.

Sherman is in his sixth season as Packers coach and in the last year of his current contract, which he signed in 2001.

At the time, team President Bob Harlan had just expanded Sherman’s duties by naming him GM to succeed Ron Wolf, who retired.

Details of Sherman’s contract extension were unavailable, though it’s believed his salary in 2006 and 2007 will be comparable to the $3.2 million he’s making this year.

Thompson’s contract extension offer, made little more than halfway through training camp comes as a surprise. Ever since he took the job as GM back in January, he appeared content to wait until well into the season to decide whether to retain Sherman as coach.

When Harlan hired Thompson as GM seven months ago, among Thompson’s powers were hiring and firing the coach, which is probably the most important decision a general manager makes.

For much of the offseason, there were no signs that Thompson and Sherman had much of a chemistry or relationship, perhaps in part because Sherman was upset that Harlan had stripped him of his GM title and hired Thompson in his place. That, apparently, has changed.

Sherman’s coaching resume is hard to ignore. He is 53-27 in five seasons and his .663 winning percentage is tied for third-best in the NFL among active coaches.

That could make him an attractive coaching candidate, or coach-GM for that matter, for other NFL teams.

Thompson has observed Sherman’s interactions with the players and coaches through two minicamps and three weeks of training camp, and saw enough that he liked to make the contract extension offer.

However, it’s unclear whether the extension contains a buyout clause. If there is such a clause, say, for one year’s salary, Thompson could change his mind and fire Sherman after the season and not be on the hook for two years’ pay.

I think he's a good enough coach; having to answer to Thompson may be good for him - first off, it appears Thompson is better at drafting than him, and has more fiscal sense; second, one of Sherman's issues was how he was overly loyal to his inner circle (Slowik and Kurt Schottenheimer, to name two) - now I think if Thompson says an assistant is subpar, he goes.

This also provides continuity and security - with an extension, Sherman knows Thompson is going to keep him around, and sees him as part of the reloading process.

I think he's a good enough coach; having to answer to Thompson may be good for him - first off, it appears Thompson is better at drafting than him, and has more fiscal sense; second, one of Sherman's issues was how he was overly loyal to his inner circle (Slowik and Kurt Schottenheimer, to name two) - now I think if Thompson says an assistant is subpar, he goes.

This also provides continuity and security - with an extension, Sherman knows Thompson is going to keep him around, and sees him as part of the reloading process.

942637[/snapback]

That loyalty to Rossley could be a problem as well. Who will do the play calling this year? Will it be coaching by committee? I would like to see them improve there.

Why would the loyalty to Rossley be a problem? GB has been 6th or better in points the past 4 seasons, and 7th or better in yds 3 of the past 4.

I don't know that Rossley is an offensive genius, but in the NFL, you can't simply out-talent your opponents. I think Rossley is solid.