[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Players Continue to Come Through In Support...

Menudo

...of Hurricane Katrina. :D The NFL has impressed me so much with the way they have stepped up in their support of the victims of Hurricane Katrina. I am not posting this to cheer the Steelers on, because I KNOW that every team has players helping the cause, but I was just happy to see this in today's paper.

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Like many Americans, the Steelers are contributing to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger pledged a donation of $50 for each passing yard and $250 for each touchdown he throws Sunday. Last year, Roethlisberger donated one game check to the Asian tsunami relief fund.

Tuesday evening, nearly 40 players turned out for a four-hour autograph session at Heinz Field to collect money for autographs. One group from Connellsville, Andy's Army, turned over a check for $10,011 and so impressed receiver Hines Ward that he said he would match it. Ward wrote out a $10,500 check on the spot to the American Red Cross. He also donated money to the Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund but he didn't want to talk much about it.

"There's guys doing a bunch of stuff," Ward said.

The Steelers players also are donating money for some of their teammates, such as Alan Faneca and Ike Taylor, who have homes and families affected by the hurricane.

There will be 50 volunteers collecting money and checks at the Steelers game Sunday outside Heinz Field. Checks should be made out to the American Red Cross.

Save the jokes about Roethlisberger not throwing for any yards or TD's, this isn't the post to do it in. I put plenty of other ones out there for that type of stuff. :D

Good stuff.

Off topic I guess, but I was stunned to see the NY Knicks press conference on this topic. Stephon Marbury, who by all accounts is kind of a jerk, broke down while speaking about the situation and was completely inconsolable up on the dais for five full minutes. Donated between $500K and $1m also. Definitely made me see him in a different light.

Way to go Stephon.

When I hear multi-million dollar players donating $5,000 it’s really a bigger joke than doing nothing, because the “act” appears contrived.

When Joe Horn talked about “renting a limo” and going to take a family out to dinner I almost crapped my pants. It shows how divorced from reality these players have become. Those people don’t need a stinking limo, they need clean water, clothes, and food.

Hey Joe….Take the money you would spend on the limo and instead of feeding one family, feed 10. Moron.

Stephon Marbury has fired the first shot. Anyone making what he makes should match his donation. Trust me boys, even with that donation you will still be able to hang enough diamonds on your body or in your ear that would otherwise feed a 3rd world nation.

Rich people so very rarely impress me, but on this occasion at least a few of them are moving in the right direction.

Edited by kwolf68