[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jimmy Johnson

CaP'N GRuNGe

Is Jimmy talking about himself here?:

Vikings have brought this upon themselves

Story Tools: Print Email XML

Jimmy Johnson / FOX Sports

Posted: 35 minutes ago

Maybe Randy Moss was right when he said that the Minnesota Vikings have been operating on the cheap way too long.

I know former owner Red McCombs didn't like it when Moss told him that, and nothing against the people who are there, but you can't cut corners with the scouting department, the administrative people and the coaching staff year after year and expect to overcome it.

It's not any secret that offensive coordinator Scott Linehan left for the Dolphins because he knew that Minnesota was never going to pay him. That's kind of how this franchise has been functioning for the last few seasons.

Last week new owner Zygi Wilf said that he's going to be a Monday morning quarterback and is going to fix things. Well, let's be honest, none of his money is going to be able to fix what's already happened this year. Despite their 0-2 start, however, there is still talent on the Vikings. That talent didn't all of sudden go down the tubes in one year's time.

Daunte Culpepper had such a career year last year that if Peyton Manning hadn't been setting touchdown records, he probably would have been named MVP of the league. But this year he already has 10 turnovers. One player hasn't had that number of turnovers since 1991.

With all their talent, the Vikings offense has scored only eight points in two weeks. They brought in some defensive players, and paid some big money, and they give up over 500 yards against a young Cincinnati team. If things need to be corrected, maybe they should look to a team that beat them like a drum Sunday.

Cincinnati had the reputation in years past of being a cheap team, cutting corners in the scouting department and on administrative people. They hired only the coaches they knew they could sign on the cheap. But after Marvin Lewis has come in, it looks like owner Mike Brown has put some money into his football team. And it's paying dividends. They are 2-0.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but all of a sudden it looks like Minnesota is starting to look like Cincinnati, circa 1995.

Can the Vikings turn it around?

Obviously, the Vikings will improve because there is too much talent on the roster for it to play this way the rest of the way. And I know Mike Tice and his staff are working hard and will correct a lot of the mistakes. Still, I hope these first two games aren't an indicator of where this team is headed in the future. The big correction, though, won't really be made until the off-season.

And, again, nothing against the people who are there. But when the top organizations try to improve they usually ask themselves, ‘OK, who's the best? Who's the best coach out there? Who's the best general manager out there? Who's the best scout or personnel man out there?"

They try to get the best instead of asking who can we get, who's going to come here for the money we're willing to pay? And, again, we have new ownership in Minnesota.

If they want to step it up and do it right and do it first class, it's going to cost Wilf some money.

Everyone is calling for Tice's head and if they get blown out by the Saints and Atlanta gong into the bye...who knows if Ziggy will look to replace Tice. I'm not a Tice fan...I gave him three years and he has done nothing to lead to belive me he is a good coach. He needs to spend some time as a coodinator somewhere before becoming a head coach.

My question is this? Who do you get to come in after 4 weeks?? Do you replace coordinators, the head coach, all of them?

The top coordinators SHOULD have a job right now, the top coaches in college are in the middle of their season. You would need to look at retired coaches...

Is Jimmy looking for a job????