[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Waiver wire square off

yo mama

Having come to grip with the fact that Housh might not play this week, and that all three of my starting WRs might come from waivers this week, I'm now left to collect my third WR off waivers in 24 hours. (Hakim and Cooley already on board). Two names stuck out at me, namely Doug Gabriel (OAK) and Greg Lewis (PHI). My gut says Gabriel has the most upside with Moss likely sitting. Besides, I really only need to cobble this together for one week. But I felt like turning this into a little research project, so I thought I'd share.

The Players:

Gabriel Measureable activity in only two games. During those games:

- he was thrown to an average of 7.5 times per game

- caught 1 TD

- averaged 3.5 receptions and 60 yards per game

Lewis Has played in five games, during which:

- he was thrown to an average of 7.8 yards per game

- scored 1 TD

- averaged 4.2 receptions and 48 yards per game

You have to figure Gabriel will see more passes than his average with Moss out. But that might not result in a directly proportional increase in receptions or yards, due to added defensive attention. But outside of that they seem pretty equivilent.

Their QBs

Collins

- averaging 37.4 passes per game

- 53.2% completion ratio

- only 1 INT

- thrown 6 TDs

- 1383 yards (averaging 276.6 per game)

McNabb

- averaging 40 passes per game

- 61.5% completion ratio

- 3 INTs

- 11 TDs

- 1464 yards (averaging 292.8 per game)

Advantage: Lewis. McNabb is the superior QB in every category but INTs. However, the per-game difference is negligible and therefore forgivable. McNabb's susceptibility to reinjury is an intangible concern, though.

Week 7 Opponents

Bills Over 6 games they allowed an average of 155.3 passing yards per game (NFL's lowest) and only 4 passing TDs (also the NFL's lowest). Looks like Gabriel faces an extremely stingy pass defense.

Chargers Over 6 games they have allowed an average of 263.7 passing yards per per game (NFL's 6th most) and 7 passing TDs (kinda average). And now, on top of that, Charger cornerbacks Drayton Florence and Sammy Davis are questionable for Week 7 with ankle injuries.

Advantage: Lewis. Clearly you'd rather be playing your WRs against SD than BUF this year.

Overall, Lewis looks to have a much better QB and match up, while the WRs look similar enough to date that neither is vastly superior to the other. So logically, Lewis is the better play. However, both the main intangibles weigh in Gabriel's favor (McNabb's health and Gabriel's ascension to the status of starter). I guess this is a left brain/right brain decision. Though, I'll be putting a claim in for both, just in case.

Edited by yo mama

Can't believe this got moved to the "advice" forum, as I'm sharing info, not asking for opinions. But whatever.

To answer your question, I'm leaning towards Lewis because #2 WRs have torched the Charger's secondary in a number of games.

Thats some pretty good research.

I am torn between Greg Lewis and Jabbar Gaffney. Can you run the numbers for me on Houston and let me know what you think.

Ahhhh just kidding about running the numbers, but does Gaffney hold up to Lewis as far as starting him this week?

Your advice is appreciated.

As far as you analyses, I think Gabriel has the X factor that Lewis does not. Lewis is still next to TO and Gabriel is next to Porter.

Thats some pretty good research.

I am torn between Greg Lewis and Jabbar Gaffney. Can you run the numbers for me on Houston and let me know what you think.

Ahhhh just kidding about running the numbers, but does Gaffney hold up to Lewis as far as starting him this week?

Your advice is appreciated.

As far as you analyses, I think Gabriel has the X factor that Lewis does not. Lewis is still next to TO and Gabriel is next to Porter.

1086975[/snapback]

Against a weaker opponent *maybe* Gaffney has a shot. But against the Colts... did you see what they did to Bulger and Martin last Monday? David Carr is going to get stuck up at gun point this week and I suspect his WRs' production will pay for it. That's not nearly as close a call, and I'd go Lewis if I were you.

ok now you are really messing up my strategy, I also have Ashley Lelie against the Giants.

Due to Horn being out I need one of the three:

Lewis

Gaffney

Lelie

Roy Williams.

I know what you think about Lewis and Gaffney and I dont think Williams is worth a look. Lelie has killed me all year and I think I am truly strting to hate him. Does he get one more start for me?

ok now you are really messing up my strategy, I also have Ashley Lelie against the Giants.

Due to Horn being out I need one of the three:

Lewis

Gaffney

Lelie

Roy Williams.

I know what you think about Lewis and Gaffney and I dont think Williams is worth a look. Lelie has killed me all year and I think I am truly strting to hate him. Does he get one more start for me?

1087022[/snapback]

No. Lelie is not enough of a focal point of the Bronco's game plan right now. Sure, he'll have a few big games this year. But right now that team is about DEF, the running game, and - when they do have to pass - Rod Smith. Plummer just isn't being asked to carry the team this year, which is why he is playing effiecient, effective, error-free football that isn't translating into major fantasy success. Lelie is suffering because of it more than Smith, however. I'd still go Lewis.