[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Buck O'Neil

Chief Dick

For you baseball fans, some of you may or may not know about Buck O'Neil. Here is a bio of him:

"Buck" O'Neil (John Jordan "Buck" O'Neil, Jr.), 1937-1955

First baseman and later the manager of the Kansas City Monarchs….Appeared in four East-West All-Star games as a player and as manager, he sent more players to Major League Baseball then any other manager in black baseball history, including Ernie Banks, Elston Howard and Pancho Herrera, among others…An outstanding motivator, managed the Monarchs to four league championships in 1948, 1950, 1951 and 1953…In 1962 became the first African American coach in the major leagues and has effectively championed the cause of the Negro leagues since their demise in the late 1950s.

The Negro Leagues Baseball Museum is based in Kansas City, Missouri. Since it's creation, Buck has been the driving force behind getting the world to recognize and honor the Negro League players and their role in the history of baseball. He has appeared on numerous radio and TV shows nationwide to bring attention to the museum. Buck always has the greatest stories to tell, and is truly a national treasure because he can really tell what life was like in those days. He has done more for Negro Leagues baseball than anyone.

Buck O' Neil is up for the Hall of Fame this year in a special vote for the Negro Leagues and Pre-Negro Leagues. This man is in his 90's, and the Hall of Fame would be lucky to have him, and be able to have him at the induction ceremonies in Cooperstown. I guarantee they will never have a better induction speech than the one he would deliver.

For those of you who care, here are some links:

Negro Leagues Baseball Museum If you are ever in Kansas City, this is a MUST SEE.

Baseball Hall of Fame I sent them a quick email giving my .02 for Buck to be in the Hall of Fame. If you have time, and want to help, shoot them an email. I just hit the contact us link on this page.

This man is amazing. He deserves to be there. He is living history.