[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Computer Problem

geeteebee

My home desktop has decided it doesn't want to access the internet. No email either. Cable modem shows that there is activity. Wireless router is working fine as my laptop has access. I've tried taking my router out of the mix, recycling the modem, I've even gone outside and unhooked/rehooked the splitter to no avail.

When I try to access the net, it tells me it is trying to find the dns number string instead of the name of the website and then it stalls out.

And guess what, this isn't a Dell.

Any ideas?

My home desktop has decided it doesn't want to access the internet.  No email either.  Cable modem shows that there is activity.  Wireless router is working fine as my laptop has access.  I've tried taking my router out of the mix, recycling the modem, I've even gone outside and unhooked/rehooked the splitter to no avail.

When I try to access the net, it tells me it is trying to find the dns number string instead of the name of the website and then it stalls out.

Any ideas?

1260832[/snapback]

Have you tried calling your cable provider? Perhaps they are having issues with their DNS servers. Comcast had a hugh problem with this several months ago and it sounds similar. I ended up using an alternate DNS server in my router until they fixed it.

My home desktop has decided it doesn't want to access the internet.  No email either.  Cable modem shows that there is activity.  Wireless router is working fine as my laptop has access.  I've tried taking my router out of the mix, recycling the modem, I've even gone outside and unhooked/rehooked the splitter to no avail.

Any ideas?

1260832[/snapback]

If your laptop is accessing the Internet properly, why fiddle with your router, splitter, etc? The problem is probably in your desktop. Could be the network interface isn't working. Assuming this is a wired connection, is there a light on the port that the network cable connects to on the PC? Unplug and replug the network cable until there's a light, usually but not always green at the router port and the PC.

If your laptop is accessing the Internet properly, why fiddle with your router, splitter, etc?  The problem is probably in your desktop.  Could be the network interface isn't working.  Assuming this is a wired connection, is there a light on the port that the network cable connects to on the PC?  Unplug and replug the network cable until there's a light, usually but not always green at the router port and the PC.

1260872[/snapback]

There is no light on the back of my pc. I have a little black box that that then plugs into my pc. That box has a green light on it that is lit up. I've unplugged it a few time and each time I plug the cat-5 cable back in, it lights up.

Any other ideas? In the mean time, I will try the cable company...I just figured that if my laptop can access the net on my network, that it wouldn't be the cable company's fault. Is that an incorrect assumption?

There is no light on the back of my pc.  I have a little black box that that then plugs into my pc.  That box has a green light on it that is lit up.  I've unplugged it a few time and each time I plug the cat-5 cable back in, it lights up. 

Any other ideas?  In the mean time, I will try the cable company...I just figured that if my laptop can access the net on my network, that it wouldn't be the cable company's fault.  Is that an incorrect assumption?

1260896[/snapback]

No it isn't a bad assumption. I did not read the part about your laptop right, sorry gtb.

Do you have another Cat5 cable handy? I know you said the network light lights up, but I've seen that happen before and replacing the cable will sometimes fix it.

Edited by Gunther

If you go to a command prompt from start - programs - accessories, try and ping yahoo.com. type ping yahoo.com. If the connection times out, you might have an issue with your NIC. Let me know if you try it out.

i have same problem with new hp zd800o laptop. it's wireless so i tried to establish connection with my wireless router (no go) then i directly hooked up to cable modem with ethernet while disableing wireless funtion on laptop (no go). I have 2 other wireless laptops , work fine have 3 other desktop, work fine. Reset cable modem and wireless router, still nothing. Seems like a problem with the laptop, any suggestions?

i have same problem with new hp zd800o laptop. it's wireless so i tried to establish connection with my wireless router (no go) then i directly hooked up to cable modem with ethernet while disableing wireless funtion on laptop (no go). I have 2 other wireless laptops , work fine have 3 other desktop, work fine. Reset cable modem and wireless router, still nothing.  Seems like a problem with the laptop, any suggestions?

1260955[/snapback]

huh!!!

I f'd with this new laptop for hours yesterday and nothing, just booted it back up and established connection...........????

I tried to ping yahoo.com and nothing happened. After typing that into the command prompt, the black box appeared, but nothing happened. A few seconds later the black box disappeared.

I have a Linksys router that has worked fine for the last few months.

If you go to a command prompt from start - programs - accessories, try and ping yahoo.com. type ping yahoo.com. If the connection times out, you might have an issue with your NIC. Let me know if you try it out.

1260942[/snapback]

What is this NIC of which you speak?

just got off the phone with comcast. They said it isn't the NIC nor DNS servers. I can ping out to the places they told me to. He tried to tell me that IE was screwed up and that I needed to call Microsoft. When I told him that my email wasn't working, he said that it is probably some other program in my machine. I haven't loaded anything new on my machine so I give up.

just got off the phone with comcast.  They said it isn't the NIC nor DNS servers.  I can ping out to the places they told me to.  He tried to tell me that IE was screwed up and that I needed to call Microsoft.  When I told him that my email wasn't working, he said that it is probably some other program in my machine.  I haven't loaded anything new on my machine so I give up.

1261192[/snapback]

if you ping a site and get a response, that means you are on the network. what is the exact error you are getting when you try to use IE or mail?

I get the Page Cannot Be Displayed error.  IE just times out.  I've tried numerous different sites all with the same results.

1261201[/snapback]

have you tried typing the address to the web site (e.g. www.yahoo.com) in the top bar and then hitting return? my work laptop is setup to go through my work portal and sometimes that screws IE up completely. i need to actually enter the web address to start the process. give that a shot and see if you can bring up yahoo.

Here's an update...still no access to email or the net.

I can ping numeric ip addresses but I can't ping url's. The comcast guy says that means all of my hardware is fine and must be software related. He suggested that my winsock file is messed up but when I reset my winsock file, nothing happened.

I have released and renewed ip addresses to no avail. Any other suggestions?

Here's an update...still no access to email or the net.

I can ping numeric ip addresses but I can't ping url's.  The comcast guy says that means all of my hardware is fine and must be software related.  He suggested that my winsock file is messed up but when I reset my winsock file, nothing happened.

I have released and renewed ip addresses to no avail.  Any other suggestions?

1263749[/snapback]

If you can ping IP addresses out on the net, you're on the net. This sounds like a DNS issue. DNS is the system that resolves IP addresses with the more familiar URLs. Your PC needs to talk to a DNS server to find the numeric IP of e.g. www.yahoo.com.

Run CMD. In the box, type ipconfig /all

This will show your IP configuration, no surprises there.

One or more of the IP addresses near the bottom will be for DNS servers. What do these addresses say?

If you can ping IP addresses out on the net, you're on the net.  This sounds like a DNS issue.  DNS is the system that resolves IP addresses with the more familiar URLs.  Your PC needs to talk to a DNS server to find the numeric IP of e.g. www.yahoo.com.

Run CMD.  In the box, type ipconfig /all

This will show your IP configuration, no surprises there.

One or more of the IP addresses near the bottom will be for DNS servers.  What do these addresses say?

1263765[/snapback]

there are two dns servers, one says 68.87.85.98 and the other is 68.87.69.146

Try d/ling firefox or some other browser.  Did you check for spyware?

1263816[/snapback]

How do I download firefox if I can't get on the internet? Should I d/l it to my laptop, burn it to a cd and then install it on my desktop?

I have checked for spyware and viruses.

How do I download firefox if I can't get on the internet?  Should I d/l it to my laptop, burn it to a cd and then install it on my desktop?

I have checked for spyware and viruses.

1263829[/snapback]

Or a thumb drive. Best little tool for transfering data, progs, etc.

One other tidbit of info: If, right after a reboot, I type an actual url into the address line, the webpage will start to download, but usually won't finish (I know it's not cached because it will have fresh data on it). If I try to type in a second url it will time out.