[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lavar Arrington smothering punter

thecerwin

I no the game that you are speaking about. It was Penn State vs Pittsburgh and he just creamed their punter and just kept him on the ground...

He should have gone and hit someone bigger, but the punter was trying to be tough and run down to try and make the tackle so LA let him know that he wasn't going to have a chance. Good luck finding a clip of the play.

Still can't find the video... But I found the article:

Lions squeeze by rival Pittsburgh

20-17 victory over Pitt closer than expected

By JOHN GIBLIN bio

Collegian Staff Writer

All week, emotion spilled forth from players and coaches alike. Saturday, one rival team reigned victoriously.

In what might be the last game at Beaver Stadium in the fabled Pittsburgh-Penn State rivalry, the Nittany Lions eked out a 20-17 victory against their intrastate rival.

Pittsburgh, who came into the game as a 35-point underdog, kept the game close until the final seconds. LaVar Arrington's block of Panthers kicker Nick Lotz's 52-yard field goal attempt sealed Pittsburgh's fate, as well as closed the most recent chapter in the storied rivalry.

"If they didn't make a statement that this is a rivalry," Arrington said, "then I don't know what a rivalry is. It was too close, but we still came through."

Arrington was the story of the day, making headlines both positive and negative. Early in the second quarter, the linebacker drew two personal-foul penalties on one play after hitting Pittsburgh punter Greg DeBolt.

After the whistle was blown, Arrington remained on top of the punter, drawing the first flag. Moments later, he shoved DeBolt a second time while referees watched.

"No, I wasn't tempted to take him out," Penn State coach Joe Paterno said. "I think it was one of those things where he wasn't all to blame and he should have walked away from it, obviously. But there again, I think it's a good lesson for him. I think next time he will walk away from it."

DeBolt, who wrestles in the 184-pound weight class, said he gave Arrington a "low single," a shot to the shins with his shoulder.

"I was just playing hard. I'm not mad at the call," Arrington said. "I went over to the officials and apologized if I did anything wrong."

Penn State looked to be pulling away from Pittsburgh early in the fourth quarter, when Lions running back Eric McCoo took a handoff seven yards to make the score 17-10.

McCoo's jaunt into the end zone was set up by a 37-yard screen pass from quarterback Kevin Thompson to receiver Eddie Drummond.

But Arrington and Co. had struggled with the Panthers all game.

Pittsburgh fought back, marching 82 yards in 47 seconds, culminating with a 42-yard touchdown strike to receiver Julius Dixon to tie it at 17-17 with 4:34 remaining.

Panthers quarterback John Turman, who won the Coogan Award as the game's most valuable player, was 19-of-35 on the day for 316 yards and two touchdowns.

"I wish he was a freshman, but he's a junior," Turman's head coach, Walt Harris, said after the game. "He's got some good ability and I think he learned a lot today."

The Penn State defense found new life on Pittsburgh's final drive. On third down from the Penn State 25, Turman was sacked for a 10-yard loss by Penn State defensive tackle David Fleischhauer, forcing Lotz's final attempt near midfield.

Then, as Lotz followed through on the 52-yard attempt, Arrington timed his leap perfectly, knocking down the kick with his right hand and preserving the victory.

Edited by thecerwin