[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Carolina Panthers-2005 perspective.

PantherDave

I am pleased with the season the Panthers had, as it was one in which the running game had little continuity, and the O Line jelled late. Smitty emerged as possible the leagues elite WR. The holes that were obvious the previous year were addressed and were very succesful(Lucas, Whale and McCree). I beleive the compliment to Smitty is already in place(my deep sleeper) in Drew Carter, as he should move into the #2 WR spot(I beleive this has already happened). Now Jake has the off-season to get a cohesiveness down with Smitty and Drew ala Moose and Smitty in 2003(we really missed Moose this year). So, I fully expect Hurney and Fox to fill the holes on OT this off-season, and look for an elite RB to be brought into the Panther fold, and a real TE to be drafted(my pick is CJ Williams from NC State). Fox inherited a team that was 1-15, and has in his 4 year tenure reached the NFC Championship twice, with one trip resulting in a SB berth, so the coaching staff is solid. I truly feel the Panthers are a few quality players from being a NFL(not just NFC) powerhouse. I look forward to March 2 and the start of TC, as it's a good time to be a Panther Fan-Peace PD.

If I am a Carolina fan I am excited about my future.

Great core of good defensive players and great coaching.

As far as the running game goes I think if they waste a high pick on RB it will be just that...a waste. they have a good enough(and should do better) offenisve line to where I think they can solve their RB problems in free agency and then take a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round . add that to what they will already have (possibly Foster,Goings ) and they can make do.

I think if I am Carolina I use my number 1 on another O-lineman. keep that O-line strong and with depth and they can make a run next year.

If I am a Carolina fan I am excited about my future.

Great core of good defensive players and great coaching.

As far as the running game goes I think if they waste a high pick on  RB it will be just that...a waste. they have a good enough(and should do better) offenisve line to where I think they can solve their RB problems in free agency and then take a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round . add that to what they will already have (possibly Foster,Goings ) and they can make do.

I think if I am Carolina I use my number 1 on another O-lineman. keep that O-line strong and with depth and they can make a run next year.

1284211[/snapback]

Yes, I agree, and my staement was meant to mean an NFL RB, and not a rookie, I personally hope Edge is brought in to the Panther Family, as I think he would be a great fit. We need a TE badly, a true possesion TE, and I think the draft is where we go to get this-only time will tell.

Yes, I agree, and my staement was meant to mean an NFL RB, and not a rookie, I personally hope Edge is brought in to the Panther Family, as I think he would be a great fit. We need a TE badly, a true possesion TE, and I think the draft is where we go to get this-only time will tell.

1284215[/snapback]

If you want a possession TE next year I do not see him in the draft. TE is a hard position to find a guy who can come in immediately and do the job. I would look in free agency for that too. I personally would not spend the money it would take to get a Edge. You may get him and find out he is more a product of the situation than the stud you thought(I think he is a decent back myself and would do well, just not sure if you could not get the same out of someone cheaper).

Of course this is all my opinion. not trying to be some kind of know it all, just enjoy talking good football subjects like this instead of the usual mindless chatter.

If you want a possession TE next year I do not see him in the draft. TE is a hard position to find a guy who can come in immediately and do the job. I would look in free agency for that too. I personally would not spend the money it would take to get a Edge. You may get him and find out he is more a product of the situation than the stud you thought(I think he is a decent back myself and would do well, just not sure if you could not get the same out of someone cheaper).

Of course this is all my opinion. not trying to be some kind of know it all, just enjoy talking good football subjects like this instead of the usual mindless chatter.

1284226[/snapback]

The Steelers got a pretty good possesion TE(he's a rookie otta UVa) out of the draft, and this is the deepest the draft has been in quality TE's for awhile, so again, time will tell. The Cat's need a RB, and there going to have to spend the $ to get one, then again SA is from the south and played his college ball at Bama, so he would be nice as well. I also, would not be surprized to see Priest Holmes brought in, but this would be a mistake in my opinion, but is the kind of "charecter" player Big Cat Richardson likes to have-gas in the tank and 30+ are my concerns with PH.

The Steelers got a pretty good possesion TE(he's a rookie otta UVa) out of the draft, and this is the deepest the draft has been in quality TE's for awhile, so again, time will tell. The Cat's need a RB, and there going to have to spend the $ to get one, then again SA is from the south and played his college ball at Bama, so he would be nice as well. I also, would not be surprized to see Priest Holmes brought in, but this would be a mistake in my opinion, but is the kind of "charecter" player Big Cat Richardson likes to have-gas in the tank and 30+ are my concerns with PH.

1284231[/snapback]

It is true that Miller turned out to be a fine TE(even he started out slow). but getting a rookie TE to come in and fill that slot is a rarity. Not that drafting a TE is a bad idea. I just would not expect his 1st year to be anything exciting if I did draft 1.

There is no doubt the Panthers need a RB. but if it was I, I would look more into a Maurice Morris type(not that he is a free agent because I do not know..but maybe a trade could get him) . I do not see the Hawks letting go of Alexander after making it to the superbowl and him setting records. their fan base and media would not let them live it down and they know it. Now Morris is a very capable back who would love a chance and I think can be gotten if they resign Alexander.

I think our biggest glaring need is more playmakers on the offense. I think we need to sign Spoon first and keep our linebacking corps in tack as best as possible. Take that extra $$ and re-sign Foster for a one year deal and bring in somebody to compete with him either through the draft, or a lower level FA signing like Chester Taylor or someone similar to compete with Foster, and Shelton.

There will be good players available at #23 in the first round and I could see us taking another OL or a good TE (a like a few top guys) that could fall to us at that spot.

The one thing that I know about Fox and Hurney they try to manage the cap carefully not to overpay too many guys to fill in holes with guys like McCree, who I think the Panthers will definitely try to keep after his very good season. :D

I think our biggest glaring need is more playmakers on the offense.  I think we need to sign Spoon first and keep our linebacking corps in tack as best as possible.  Take that extra $$ and re-sign Foster for a one year deal and bring in somebody to compete with him either through the draft, or a lower level FA signing like Chester Taylor or someone similar to compete with Foster, and Shelton.

There will be good players available at #23 in the first round and I could see us taking another OL or a good TE (a like a few top guys) that could fall to us at that spot.

The one thing that I know about Fox and Hurney they try to manage the cap carefully not to overpay too many guys to fill in holes with guys like McCree, who I think the Panthers will definitely try to keep after his very good season.  :D

1284415[/snapback]

McCree has already been locked up-a 5 year deal I believe

My concern for the Panthers is how they will react when more teams gameplan for Smith like Seattle did. They need a ligit #2 WR threat which never emerged this season. Don't get me wrong, Smith will be drafted top 5 next year, but it seems to me the situation is ripe for a let down.

Of course with his numbers, its hard to match or exceed them anyway, but we've all seen DMD's numbers of WRs who don't repete year to year. It wil happen to someone. :D