[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Electronics huddlers

Ziachild007

Working on a little project where I will be using a car CD player, that is not installed in a car. What I am needing help figuring out is what is the smallest battery you would use to power it (this will be the only thing running off of the battery).

For anyone interested, what I am trying to do is install a cd player and speaker set-up in an ice chest. We take a couple of tubing trips down the Guadalupe River each year and saw a few of these last year. What I am thinking is sealing off half of the cooler and waterproofing it, to act as the battery storage. Then put the cd player in the front of the lid (will have to get a cooler with a thick lid) and mount the speakers on the top.

Not trying to build a super system, just enough to power probably (2) 6X9.

Any thoughts?

You might find some info here Zia. Not sure if it has what you're looking for.

1299225[/snapback]

Yeah, I found that site earlier and it is sort of what I am trying to do, just slightly different. Thanks for the reply though.

Working on a little project where I will be using a car CD player, that is not installed in a car.  What I am needing help figuring out is what is the smallest battery you would use to power it (this will be the only thing running off of the battery). 

For anyone interested, what I am trying to do is install a cd player and speaker set-up in an ice chest.  We take a couple of tubing trips down the Guadalupe River each year and saw a few of these last year.  What I am thinking is sealing off half of the cooler and waterproofing it, to act as the battery storage.  Then put the cd player in the front of the lid (will have to get a cooler with a thick lid) and mount the speakers on the top.

Not trying to build a super system, just enough to power probably (2) 6X9.

Any thoughts?

1299011[/snapback]

Let me know what you come up with. We have an annual weekend before school starts Guadalupe float trip and I'd love to build one of these myself.

Last year a couple noobs brought one of those black and decker construction radios that run off the interchangable rechargable power tool batteries. They lashed the whole thing to the top of a cooler. First rapids the tube and cooler flipped over and radio and spare batteries sank to the bottom of the river. :D

Let me know what you come up with. We have an annual weekend before school starts Guadalupe float trip and I'd love to build one of these myself.

Last year a couple noobs brought one of those black and decker construction radios that run off the interchangable rechargable power tool batteries.  They lashed the whole thing to the top of a cooler.  First rapids the tube and cooler flipped  over and radio and spare batteries sank to the bottom of the river.  :D

1299319[/snapback]

PM your email and I will send you my "blueprints" when I get done.

Ummm, why use a car CD player when a discman and a set of small speakers would do the trick just as well, weigh less and have less power requirements. The catch is powering the AMP to the speakers More wattage = more juice. Try going to Radio Shack, tell them what you're trying to do and see what they have available as far as portable power for something like this. With the right kind of converter you may be able to get away with a couple of big cube 6 volt batteries.