[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

a Rioja I recommend

wiegie

Sierra Cantabria Crianza 2001

Picked up a bottle on sale for $13.99 (normally $19.99) and just opened it up for dinner. Very nice.

I checked and Parker gave it a 91

WA 91 Pts. - I have served friends the brilliant 2001 Crianza (98% Tempranillo and 2% Graciano) just to prove what great wine can be purchased even with a weak dollar. It is a complex, elegant, deep ruby/purple-tinged offering boasting a sweet nose of lead pencil shavings, white chocolate, blackberries, and cherries. Medium-bodied with supple tannin as well as admirable structure, definition, and ripeness, it can be enjoyed now and over the next 5-8 years.
and Tanzer gave it a 90
Full red. Plum, strawberry and sexy, smoky sweet oak scents on the nose. Lush on entry, then round, ripe and dry, with plum and strawberry flavors. A plush, rather suave wine with enough material for its oak. Finishes smooth and persistent. Very generous Rioja, from crop levels that were reportedly lower than in the past at this estate.
If you come across it, I suggest grabbing a bottle or two. (I think I'm going to go back and buy two more bottles tomorrow while they are on sale).

(Also, I almost never drink Rioja's, but if they are all like this, I might have to start.)

Edited by wiegie

Picked up a bottle on sale for $13.99 (normally $19.99) and just opened it up for dinner.  Very nice.

I checked and Parker gave it a 91 and Tanzer gave it a 90 If you come across it, I suggest grabbing a bottle or two.  (I think I'm going to go back and buy two more bottles tomorrow while they are on sale).

(Also, I almost never drink Rioja's, but if they are all like this, I might have to start.)

1358406[/snapback]

Thanks for the tip, as Mrs. PD is a Vino lover.

Picked up a bottle on sale for $13.99 (normally $19.99) and just opened it up for dinner.  Very nice.

I checked and Parker gave it a 91 and Tanzer gave it a 90 If you come across it, I suggest grabbing a bottle or two.  (I think I'm going to go back and buy two more bottles tomorrow while they are on sale).

1358406[/snapback]

A very good wine for the price! Nice find Wiegie! I also enjoy the Juan Gil 100% Monastrell (03-04) $12.00 and my favorite value wine from Spain is Numanthia Termes $18-24 per bottle. I have a nice 6 year vertical of cases of this and am always looking for it on sale. The big brothers (Numanthia and Termanthia) are pretty good as well, but this has more bang for the buck!

I just picked up a case of Spanish dessert wines I had after dinner the other night with creme brulee; Alvear Pedro Ximenez Solera... yummmmy! It is a Solera that was started in 1927 @ $14.99/ .375... sherry

• 3 weeks later...