[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Unusual League - Need Draft Strategy/IDP Help

10g_DBA

Hi guys,

I'm not a FF noob, but this year is the first time I'm in a league with IDP and flex positions. I know what I gotta do in preparation for draft day:

You need to know what the relative value of starting positions are to each other and take into consideration that position depth, how quickly that position will be drained and where the benefit is greatest to your team in total points.

But the problem is I don't fully understand how to do this, therefore, it's tough to put together a draft strategy for getting the greatest value with my picks.

Here's the starting lineup: (Note that it's possible to start 4 WRs)

QB

WR1

WR2

RB1

RB2

TE

WR/RB Flex

WR/TE Flex

K

DEF/ST

IDP1 (any)

IDP2 (any)

Additionally, there are 8 bench spots making the roster size 20.

Here's the scoring system:

Offense:

Passing Yards (30 yards per point)

Passing Touchdowns (4)

Interceptions (-1)

Rushing Yards (10 yards per point; 5 points at 190 yards)

Rushing Touchdowns (6)

Receptions (0.5)

Reception Yards (15 yards per point)

Reception Touchdowns (6)

Return Touchdowns (6)

2-Point Conversions (2)

Fumbles Lost (-2)

IDP:

Tackle Solo (1)

Sack (2)

Interception (3)

Fumble Force (1)

Fumble Recovery (2)

Touchdown (6)

Safety (2)

I don't yet know which pick I have in our 10-team league.

Thanks for helping me sort this out.

Unfortunately I do not know enough about IDP to give much input there as far as strategy and when to taret IDP players 9I do know LBs are the top scoring position, so I would suggest targeting them, but Darin and Sgt Ryan know a lot more on the subject than I do).

Most likely the WR/TE flex will be a WR for obvious reasons and the WR/RB spot will be whatever is best matchup that particularly week, unless you can get a great RB value for a third RB early on.

With a 20 man roster but 12 starters, I would think carry no more than 3 IDP players all with different bye weeks, only 1 kicker, 1 defense, probably just 1 TE , 2 QBs, and fill in with RBs and WRs, then do the add/drop for bye week coverage of those positions unless you have a top producing D/K/TE. No one will have much depth since the bench is short, so keep an eye out for good waiver values.

Hope this helps.

In that type of scoring, LB's are what you're looking for, they're the players that will get you points.

Here's some thoughts that might give you an idea where to draft what:

The #1 LB scored 172 points.

The #10 LB scored 144 points.

The #20 LB scored 129.5 points

The #1 DE/DL scored 145 points, which was Jason Taylor, no other DE scored more than 125 points, so aside from Taylor, it probably doesn't make much sense to draft a DE.

The #1 CB/S scored 155.5, so the top 5 CB/S might be worth looking at, but really not until the top LB's are gone.

Now, the top RB scored 350 points, the #10 scored 194 points, and the #20 scored 151 points.

The top WR scored 217 points, the #10 scored 164 points, and the #20 scored 120 points.

The top QB scored 266 points, the #10 scored 195 points, and the #20 scored 149 points.

That should give you a bit of an idea as to how important IDP's will be in your league.

Hope this helps. :D

Thanks guys. That helps.

BTW... Why is all my advice coming from guys with little kids on their knees? :D

Dunno. :D

But I can tell you that Big Country is one of the good guys around here.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

I am new to IDP as well, this is my first year. But the part about your league that is confusing is the fact you start a DEF/ST and only two IDP players. With only starting two idp's you can wait quite some time before you can pick one. Like Hugh One said you should target LB's, but more importantly MLB's. I would probably look at taking your first LB after you have 6-7 of your other starters.

Check out the IDP forum for player rankings and some really good advice.

I am new to IDP as well, this is my first year. But the part about your league that is confusing is the fact you start a DEF/ST and only two IDP players. With only starting two idp's you can wait quite some time before you can pick one. Like Hugh One said you should target LB's, but more importantly MLB's. I would probably look at taking your first LB after you have 6-7 of your other starters.

Check out the IDP forum for player rankings and some really good advice.

You're right. I'll wait till the back half of the draft to pick up my IDP guys. I'll pick up Sandra Keith Bullock and Ray Dong Chong Lewis

Yeah, I can see how the NYJ will be spending much of the clock on the defensive side of the ball, but doesn't the move to a 3-4 defense diminish JV's production a little?

Very good young grasshopper. It could, but Vilma's a stud, he'll still be a top LB.