[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Some obscure NFL rules explained....

Pope Flick

Pulled from chicagosports.com, it's a semi-weekly article non-subscription. Clear references to Bears game asides, usually always informative.

Ask Jerry Markbreit

The former NFL referee answers reader questions each week during the season

December 5, 2006, 5:16 PM CST

Hi, Jerry, with the Bears stripping the ball so much, a though occurred to me. If a QB just begins a slide and the ball is stripped before any part of his body hits the turf (other than his feet of course) is this a fumble or is he considered down as soon as he begins his slide? Thanks. --Nelson McElmurry, San Jose, Calif.

The quarterback is considered down as soon as he begins his slide. The forward progress is the spot where the slide begins. Consequently, any stripping of the ball or fumble by the quarterback, once the slide starts, is considered a dead ball. The slide may carry him a number of yards forward, but the ball is always returned to the spot where the slide began. The wing officials make this call. If the quarterback dives head first in order to gain additional yardage, he is fair game and is treated like a runner.

Let's say a team is punting on a fourth-and-long play. The punter takes a vicious hit, and the official calls a running into the kicker penalty. Meanwhile, the punter needs medical attention from the training staff. Since it would remain fourth down, would the punter be able to punt on the next play, or would he have to miss the next play because he received medical attention from the training staff? --Ben, Chicago

First of all, any vicious hit against a punter would be roughing the kicker, carrying a 15-yard penalty from the previous line of scrimmage. Whether a running into the kicker or a roughing the kicker foul is called, the kicker may remain in the game because of a specific rule that states "If a foul committed by an opponent causes an injury, a timeout is not charged to that team, even if it occurs after the two-minute warning, or if the player remains in the game."

What's an illegal low block? The rules make clipping, chop block, illegal block from behind and crackback illegal, and I pretty much understand them. Is there a legal low block? How is it different from an illegal one? --Steve Miley, Boston

Let me state the rule, so that you can understand an illegal and legal low block: Players on either team are prohibited from blocking below the waist during a kickoff, safety kick, punt, field goal attempt and try kick. After a change of possession, neither team may block below the waist. Any low block not included in the above rule is legal.

Does the application of the "tuck rule" preclude intentional grounding? I can see why the tuck rule was applied to Brad Johnson in the Chicago-Minnesota game and also why it was forward pass, but why can't an official call intentional grounding on that play? No Viking was near Brad Johnson. --Bryan Schwerer, Cary, N.C.

Intentional grounding is never called when the quarterback is hit as he is throwing the football. In the case of pass/fumble plays, the quarterback is being hit and the referee rules that his arm is coming forward or the ball is out before the arm comes forward. Intentional grounding will be called when a passer facing an imminent loss of yardage because of pressure from the defense throws a forward pass without a real chance for completion. The contact on the quarterback as he is throwing eliminates the chance of grounding.

What is the rule against "flexing his arms" as was called against Brian Urlacher? --Rich, Monroe, Wis.

Once the quarterback has passed the ball, the charging defensive players are restricted from any act that unduly punishes the quarterback. If the defender flexes his arms by bending them and thrusting them forward while pushing the quarterback unnecessarily to the ground, roughing the passer is called. The defender could tackle the quarterback or, for that matter, just wrap him up without taking him to the ground. There is no need to shove him down after the play.

When are TV timeouts in the NFL and how many are there per quarter? For example, it seems like there cannot be a TV timeout in the first 2 minutes of a game even if there is a change of possession. Are there any other conditions that must be met? Also are 30-second timeouts just another way of saying there are no more commercials left in the half or can teams actually request them? --Graham, Chicago

TV timeouts in the NFL are requested after possession changes or after scores. These commercials are signaled to the Referee by a network onfield technician called the "orange sleeves." Try to spot them during the next NFL telecast. He is generally around the 30-yard line on the press box side of the field. There are five commercials during play in each quarter for a total of 20 per game. These commercials are two minutes in length and are timed by an onfield official. A request for commercial by orange sleeves is generally acknowledged by the referee, who, by the way, is responsible for getting the necessary commercials into the game. The only time that the referee would refuse the request is on a fumble recovery, pass interception or a punt returned inside of the opponents' 40-yard line. You are correct about the 30-second timeouts. All charged timeouts are 30 seconds if television is not involved.

I was reading on NFL.com about the position of players at the snap. No offensive player may charge or move abruptly, after assuming set position, in such manner as to lead defense to believe snap has started. All players of offensive team must be stationary at snap, except one back who may be in motion parallel to scrimmage line or backward (not forward). Does this mean that a back who has assumed a three- or four-point stance, and has remained set for at least a second, may not legally go into motion? --Robbi Robinson, Winfield, Ill.

No, the restriction for offensive teams is as follows: Once the team breaks the huddle, all 11 men must be stationary in their positions for one full second. The linemen must remain in their three- or four-point stance and any movement by them results in a false start. The backs and wide receivers are not restricted from going in motion once they are set. If two or more backs or wide receivers are in motion after originally being set, they must come to a complete stop before the snap or an illegal shift is called. One single back after being set, either in a three- or-four point stance or a standing position, may go in motion, providing he is not moving toward the line ofscrimmage at the snap.

Does a team have to have time outs remaining in order to issue a challenge on a play? --David Rosolko, Hudson, Mass.

Yes, each team is entitled to two challenges per game, providing they have remaining timeouts. An unsuccessful coach's challenge calls for a team to lose a charged timeout. Consequently, a team must have a timeout to lose if their challenge fails. During the last two minutes of either half or in overtime, teams do not need timeouts because the replay official takes control of all challenges.

Jerry, I noticed Sunday in Buffalo and Denver the officials were wearing new pants, was this for warmth? Also can you explain the "giving yourself up rule" at the end of the Tennessee-Indy? With 7 seconds left Tenn's squib kick was fielded by one of the up backs. Could he have downed the ball (taken a knee) to save time or does he needed to be touched before the whistle blows? --Manny Pasquale, Chicago

The black officials' pants with a white stripe are new cold weather gear. These pants are cold and wind resistant and allow the officials to wear other cold weather garments underneath. The officials' shirts for the 2006 season are a new design, as are the black pants.

If a player in possession of the ball voluntarily goes to the ground, making no attempt to advance, he is giving himself up, under the rule. The officials blow the whistle, ending the play. So, yes, the player could have taken a knee, giving himself up to save time.

Do the officials that work the Super Bowl receive a ring, or any other commemorative item? Great column, I make sure to read it every week. --Matt Harm, Cherry Hill, N.J.

I am glad that you enjoy the column. I enjoy it very much because I get questions from all over the country and the world. The officials who work the Super Bowl receive a Super Bowl ring from the NFL. This ring is diamond-studded and has the official's name, position and number, along with the Super Bowl logo and the date of the game. If an official works multiple Super Bowls, he gets a ring for each separate game. I cherish my Super Bowl rings.

I actually wouldn't have called them obscure rules. I didn't play or follow football much prior to a few years ago, so I didn't know some of the fundamental details of some of the penalties and why they aren't called sometimes when it looked to me like they should have been.