[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

hold off on tv purchase

dmarc117

Prices for LCD TV to drop 30-40% throughout 2007 - Digitimes

Digitimes reports although the global LCD TV market is expected to grow more significantly in 2007, TV vendors and LCD panel makers may face more pricing pressure and prices for LCD TVs will drop 30-40% throughout the year, according to sources. If the prices drop that low, the prices for a 32-inch LCD TV could only be US$663-774 by the end of 2007, said the sources. Research firms include DisplaySearch, iSuppli and Displaybank project LCD TV shipments to grow at least 50% in 2007. The annual growth of LCD TV shipments will also surpass those of PDP (plasma display panel) TVs and rear-projection TVs (RPTVs) dramatically in 2007, noted the research firms.

That's awesome, but by this logic one might never buy a LCD. Prices seemed to fall about 30% every year before this year's crazy 50-60% drops. I think you should just buy when what you want is in your price range and enjoy your HDTV.

I bought one. They have fallen a lot already and 1080i works fine for me.

By this logic they may pay us to buy one soon :D , but I waited long enough.

there you go the cable companies could give out basic HDTVs like the phone company used to do with rotary phones and then how many people would upgrade to the Digital and HD packages? Oh and on another note Internet providers should provide everyone with a PC :D

Oddly enough, despite the price drops, some major LCD manufacturers are also being investigated for price fixing.

Sony is especially ticked off about the prices, because they dropped plasma production just to focus on LCD.

"We will stay competitive but we won't do anything that damages the industry long term," said Jay Vandenbree, president of consumer sales for Sony, who added that Sony has a "responsibility" not to accelerate price declines in a way that could hurt the industry.