[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How does E James really feel

Piranha

Link

MIAMI — Edgerrin James' cellphone has been blowing up. Some good friends have a bit of Super Bowl XLI business, but before buckling down, there's sightseeing to do.

James, who attended the University of Miami, lives here during the offseason and knows all the hot spots. No wonder he was eagerly awaiting the Monday night arrival of the Indianapolis Colts, who finally advanced to the Big Game — without him.

"This is like the only night we'll have to hang out," James said Monday afternoon before heading to the Colts hotel. "It's like I told them, I don't have a curfew, but they do. I'm going to make sure that my boys won't get in trouble."

After six seasons in Indianapolis, James signed a free agent deal with the Arizona Cardinals last spring. He doesn't sound bummed the Colts reached this point in their first season since his departure.

"I'm with them," he says. "I'm cool with everything. Remember, I'm Edge. I'm totally different than most cats. My friends are still with that team. We're like family."

Still, in playoff losses to the Pittsburgh Steelers and New England Patriots, James rushed 14 and 15 times. This postseason the Colts have rushed at least 30 times a game. "I was part of the learning process," James says.

Like a lot of people, James wants to see coach Tony Dungy win a championship. He wants Manning to silence anyone who has ever questioned the quarterback's wherewithal under pressure. And he says Marvin Harrison should not be forgotten.

"Marvin's the oldest one of us," James points out. "He's had a Hall of Fame career. The only thing he's missing is a Super Bowl ring. It's time. Forget about me. Leaving was just a part of football. Besides, the three of us will always be linked."

James says he probably hasn't talked to any Colt as much as wideout Reggie Wayne— who touched him by showing up on the first day of training camp wearing a No. 32 Colts jersey with James' name on the back.

"The other day I was in a commercial and wanted to wear Reggie's jersey. But we couldn't pull it off. … We're from The U. When you come from The U, a lot of people just don't understand the closeness."

Despite the presence of his friends, James won't attend Super Bowl XLI. He hates the crowds and the traffic and will watch on television at a Super Bowl party. He's only attended one Super Bowl, when the Denver Broncos defeated the Atlanta Falcons in Miami in January 1999.

It's no big deal, James says, "Unless you're playing in it."

His prediction? A big Colts victory.

"In the fourth quarter," James says, "I don't think it will be close."

I like the fact that Polian let an aging Edge leave as free agent, rather than have him take up a ton of cap room. But I do miss him. Edge is a class act who was very well-liked by his teammates. I believe that his remarks are sincere.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Obviously a Colt win will be bitter sweet for Edge. Not to sure how many people would like to see a team win it all after just leaving that team. He's saying all the politically correct things, but I have my doubts.

I don't know. For players that left under bad terms (e.g. TO from Philly), I doubt they want to see their former team leave. However for those players that have spent a considerable amount of time and still have close friends on the former team, I think they would root for them. That obviously presumes that they themselves aren't the opponent. Drew Brees made similar comments regarding the Chargers and their playoff run.

I don't know. For players that left under bad terms (e.g. TO from Philly), I doubt they want to see their former team leave. However for those players that have spent a considerable amount of time and still have close friends on the former team, I think they would root for them. That obviously presumes that they themselves aren't the opponent. Drew Brees made similar comments regarding the Chargers and their playoff run.

Granted Edge might be different than most human beings. I like the truthful answer that Jerry Rice gave the other day when asked if he wants to see his friend Harrison break any of his records. He said not really. However if he does, I will be the first to congratulate him.

Granted Edge might be different than most human beings. I like the truthful answer that Jerry Rice gave the other day when asked if he wants to see his friend Harrison break any of his records. He said not really. However if he does, I will be the first to congratulate him.

But that's an entirely different question. With Rice, he was losing something. In the case of Edge, he did not lose anything other then going to the SB.