[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cold weather driving equipment

MojoMan

My GF is a practicing physician in the DC area. Therefore, just like IT guys, she has to show up to work. The recent crappy weather has caused me to think about what I can do to make sure she gets to work safely. A few weeks ago, she got stuck in 1-2 inches of snow on a small incline. She has a little crappy Toyota Echo with that looks like 13 or 14 inch wheels.

A friend who is another practicing MD recommended that I get her some cable chains and teach her how to put them on. My dad, a real perfectionist, taught me to jack up the car when putting on chains to ensure even tension around the whole tire. I don't think she's gonna want to do that.

A couple of specific questions and I'd like to hear any tips youze guys have.

1. Is it OK just to roll over the chains to get them on?

2. I thought they sold a little wedge thing that you could lay the chains on and drive over to make them easier to put on.

Any other thoughts?

just get her some good snow tires, and put them on in the winter months. AWD helps as well, but tires are far and away the #1 factor.

Tires are a hugh factor. I had a Subuaru Outback for years and it took me anywhere. Then I get a CRV and it was crap in snow, but then I put the same tires that were on the Subuaru and it has worked great. I got the first year Outback and they came with top of the line Michelin mud and snow tires. The tires lasted 80,000 miles, and even still had plenty of tread but were cracked-never even had a flat. The top of the line Michelins cost a small fortune but worth it.

Here in Oregon you can buy "traction tires" and then have them "siped". This is a process that cuts into the tire tread that creates suction to increase traction. I don't know if this is legal in all of the states. But some do this instead of buying studs.

You don't need to jack the car up to put on chains. Out west here people in the flatlands have to put on chains all the time for just a few miles to get over the passes. It is a pain in the butt to put on chains in bad weather and my guess is your GF will not take the time to put them on. If you are in nice clothes and a car speeds past you, you end up with oily, dirty slushy snow all over you.

I think the best idea brought up is to get a small AWD SUV or there are lots of AWD sedans out now. If she's paying off loans, get a used one. The Rav 4s and CRVs are great cars. Or the Subuaru Legacy or smaller Imprezza. The Imprezza is probably not much more than the Echo.

Thanks for the wisdom all. I've got a RAV-4 and I think it's great in the snow. She was considering getting a new car but she likes the gas mileage of her current piece of crap and it runs fine.

Sheesh. For the few snowstorms we get here, maybe I should just let her borrow my car for the storm or just make sure she stays over with me or I with her and I'll just drive her to work.

Tires are a hugh factor. I had a Subuaru Outback for years and it took me anywhere. Then I get a CRV and it was crap in snow, but then I put the same tires that were on the Subuaru and it has worked great. I got the first year Outback and they came with top of the line Michelin mud and snow tires. The tires lasted 80,000 miles, and even still had plenty of tread but were cracked-never even had a flat. The top of the line Michelins cost a small fortune but worth it.

Here in Oregon you can buy "traction tires" and then have them "siped". This is a process that cuts into the tire tread that creates suction to increase traction. I don't know if this is legal in all of the states. But some do this instead of buying studs.

You don't need to jack the car up to put on chains. Out west here people in the flatlands have to put on chains all the time for just a few miles to get over the passes. It is a pain in the butt to put on chains in bad weather and my guess is your GF will not take the time to put them on. If you are in nice clothes and a car speeds past you, you end up with oily, dirty slushy snow all over you.

I think the best idea brought up is to get a small AWD SUV or there are lots of AWD sedans out now. If she's paying off loans, get a used one. The Rav 4s and CRVs are great cars. Or the Subuaru Legacy or smaller Imprezza. The Imprezza is probably not much more than the Echo.

yeah well, the subarus (like most new cars) come with crap tires now. my 04 impreza outback only has like 35,000 miles and needs new tires, and they were never great as far as snow/ice traction goes. but the AWD will still take me just about anywhere.

Thanks for the wisdom all. I've got a RAV-4 and I think it's great in the snow. She was considering getting a new car but she likes the gas mileage of her current piece of crap and it runs fine.

Sheesh. For the few snowstorms we get here, maybe I should just let her borrow my car for the storm or just make sure she stays over with me or I with her and I'll just drive her to work.

snow tires for that little rig she's got will be cheap. that is the way to go.

Here in Oregon

And I thought that I was the only Oregonian here. :D

Agreed with Magnolia's comments about getting a small SUV, if it's in the budget. My wife just got a sales rep job that involves traveling over the mountain passes sometimes, but provides a choice of company cars equipped with snow tires. I strongly encouraged her to choose either the Outback or the Chevy Equinox (she took the latter) for safety reasons.

Edited by Bill Swerski

And I thought that I was the only Oregonian here. :D

Agreed with Magnolia's comments about getting a small SUV, if it's in the budget.

me too. We had a Corrolla a few years ago, thought front wheel drive would be enough. That thing SUCKED in the snow. We traded it on a Hyundai Santa Fe. Full time 4 wheel drive and a 100,000 mile warranty....one of our best purchases ever.

The CRV comes in a hybrid now, and I think maybe the Rav 4 does too. Although I have read in the long run the hybrids aren't cheaper to run.