[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wireless Network Question

KevinL

This weekend I got a Netgear N router and set it up (in the basement). Connection works great, I have 2 pc's wired into the router and have no problems there.

I have a laptop that connected right away with a super-strong signal from the bedroom (2 floors up).

No problems until later that night when I tried to use the laptop after it had "gone to sleep"

It sees the network with strong signal but it will not connect. No error message, just doesn't connect.

I reboot, try a few things, and eventually carry it down and set it right next to the router. I log on the wired pc and retype the wireless network password on the router. I reconnect from the laptop and it is fine. I carry it back upstairs and it is still fine.

Next morning (after "sleeping" again) the laptop sees the network but does not connect. It will connect to a low-signal unsecured network somewhere in my neighborhood, but the signal is weak and it disconnects frequently.

I repeat the steps from the night before (retype the pw on the router) and it connects. This morning once again it will not connect.

Any clue as to what I am screwing up or how to fix this?

Thanks!

This weekend I got a Netgear N router and set it up (in the basement). Connection works great, I have 2 pc's wired into the router and have no problems there.

I have a laptop that connected right away with a super-strong signal from the bedroom (2 floors up).

No problems until later that night when I tried to use the laptop after it had "gone to sleep"

It sees the network with strong signal but it will not connect. No error message, just doesn't connect.

I reboot, try a few things, and eventually carry it down and set it right next to the router. I log on the wired pc and retype the wireless network password on the router. I reconnect from the laptop and it is fine. I carry it back upstairs and it is still fine.

Next morning (after "sleeping" again) the laptop sees the network but does not connect. It will connect to a low-signal unsecured network somewhere in my neighborhood, but the signal is weak and it disconnects frequently.

I repeat the steps from the night before (retype the pw on the router) and it connects. This morning once again it will not connect.

Any clue as to what I am screwing up or how to fix this?

Thanks!

First of all, I never use sleep mode, but then I'm always near an electrical outlet. Sleep Mode or any system interrupt can cause problems.

Second, I was having similar issues w/ my system losing the signal. I believe some of those internal modems are crap. I went out, bought a decent PCMCIA card, minstalled it, disabled the internal card and it hasn't lost the signal since (~a year).

Give that a try, even w/ sleep mode on and see what happens. You can always get your money back. :D