[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

car stereos, satellite radio and keyless entry systems

montster

we just bought a used 04 honda accord. it's the basic model, with very few options. there are no power door locks, so i'd like to get a basic keyless entry system installed, and i'm wondering if anyone knows what i can expect in terms of cost/installation.

also, there's a stock stereo/cd player that i'd like to replace with a relatively inexpensive stereo with an ipod jack, but i'd also like to get sirius satellite for the car. we currently have the sirius sportster tuner in our other car, but it has wires running everywhere and looks kind of ugly. would one of these (assuming it's the same brand as the stereo) eliminate all the wires? and would it be costly to have it professionally installed? just looking for some suggestions/advice. thanks

we just bought a used 04 honda accord. it's the basic model, with very few options. there are no power door locks, so i'd like to get a basic keyless entry system installed, and i'm wondering if anyone knows what i can expect in terms of cost/installation.

also, there's a stock stereo/cd player that i'd like to replace with a relatively inexpensive stereo with an ipod jack, but i'd also like to get sirius satellite for the car. we currently have the sirius sportster tuner in our other car, but it has wires running everywhere and looks kind of ugly. would one of these (assuming it's the same brand as the stereo) eliminate all the wires? and would it be costly to have it professionally installed? just looking for some suggestions/advice. thanks

I highly recommend the forums over at Sound Domain. Link

They are essentially "The Huddle" for car stereo. I'm sure they will have some "sound" :D advice on that tuner. I just had the Sportster hooked up in my truck and I have wires, too (well, just one... the power cord). I run it using the FM transmitter and it SUCKS. I need to get it hard wired (more wires).

I too wanted power door locks on my truck (and power windows) and was told it was pretty pricey. Maybe it's cheaper nowadays, as I last checked in 2001.

Getting back to stereo/Sirius, you can buy a deck that is Sirius-ready. You'll just need to have them install the antenna (or do it yourself). I had my Sportster installed for $60 at Best Buy. I like using Best Buy for my car stereo installs 'cuz they guarantee their work and you can get fixed up at any location. I had mine installed in California (where my truck was at the time) and I plan on taking it to the local BB here in Austin to have them hard-wire it. I was told they'd cut me a break since I had the initial install done through them.

If you're not given some good options on Sound Domain in terms of decks w/ Sirius, let me know... I think Kenwood has some nice models w/ Sirius and that have iPod jacks. I have an iPod wire from my deck to the glovebox in case I want to plug mine in. Pretty trick.

Good luck.

thanks for the link and info, darin. i'll check it out.

as a follow-up: one company i called wanted close to $600 for a keyless entry system, saying they'd have to install actuators in each door (assuming i wanted all four). so that got me thinking: how hard would this be to do myself? i know it'd involve taking off the door panels and wiring everything, which i think i could do, provided the instructions were good. has anyone done this themself?