[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Help!

rocknrobn26

I installed the latest MS Security Update, rebooted, and no sound, virus protection won't load, device manager is empty :D and there are no restore points.

Anyone???

Sounds like you really have no choice, sure, why not?

TY! I'll try that AFTER I BU everything, although my BU is fairly new.

FWIW...."Hijack THIS" found nothing. F'n MS! I can't believe I'm the only one. :D But to all......STAY AWAY FROM THE LATEST UPDATE!!!!!!!!!

I though I was safe be being discriminating updates to NOT Automatic. This was a security update!!!! :D

F' MS!!!!!!

Edited by rocknrobn26

You should rename hijack this too Analyze.exe, some prggies are hiding from it now.

Likely wasn't malware that cuased the problem, more likely random data corruption, or the update didn't jive with symantec or norton.

Also, before clean install, do a 'over install' as described here: http://www.informationweek.com/shared/prin...cleID=189400897

That will fix you up.

I have a security update waiting for me to install right now. :D Think I'll skip it.

Then again, I only just installed service pack 2 for XP this weekend. :D They've finally stopped supporting SP1. So many people had trouble with it I just never installed it.

I have a security update waiting for me to install right now. :D Think I'll skip it.

Then again, I only just installed service pack 2 for XP this weekend. :D They've finally stopped supporting SP1. So many people had trouble with it I just never installed it.

In a word.....DON'T!!!!!! All I did was install the update, so I am sure it's not malware! :tup:

No devices, no restore options, WTH!!!!!

I just can't believe I'm the only one. :doh:

You should rename hijack this too Analyze.exe, some prggies are hiding from it now.

Likely wasn't malware that cuased the problem, more likely random data corruption, or the update didn't jive with symantec or norton.

Also, before clean install, do a 'over install' as described here: http://www.informationweek.com/shared/prin...cleID=189400897

That will fix you up.

Mother F'r!!!! It worked to some degree. I still can't get my Virus Prog. workin', but DAM at least i got back my devices. 'Restore' is still F'd up. Gonna give a call to BitDefender tomorrow. That's the only thing not working.

Dam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice call H8! I owe you bro! If I can get the rest back (I still have updates from MS pending! :-() I'll need your PayPal for a good case or bottle! TY, my friend!!!! :D

Mother F'r!!!! It worked to some degree. I still can't get my Virus Prog. workin', but DAM at least i got back my devices. 'Restore' is still F'd up. Gonna give a call to BitDefender tomorrow. That's the only thing not working.

Dam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice call H8! I owe you bro! If I can get the rest back (I still have updates from MS pending! :-() I'll need your PayPal for a good case or bottle! TY, my friend!!!! :tup:

FWIW..... Bitdefender must have bumped heads w/ the update. The link H8 sent worked, but I still had to d/l 80+ updates, as my system disc is SP1 (5+hours) and had to do a repair for BD. Started out (after the rebuild/H8's link) w/ 4+mins boot time. I'm now at 1:20 mins., and it seems stable. :D

One last question......If I have an SP2 disc for another computer, can I use that fro a reformat, but use my KEY for the SP1 pack? :D

H8,

Name your poison and I'll PP the $$ to ya. Or some drinks at WCOFF. PM me if you wish.

Your call. Thanks!

rr26

One last question......If I have an SP2 disc for another computer, can I use that fro a reformat, but use my KEY for the SP1 pack? :D

I believe you can. The keys are not specific to the CDs and SP2 was a free upgrade so there's no reason MS would have changed the key system.

I believe you can. The keys are not specific to the CDs and SP2 was a free upgrade so there's no reason MS would have changed the key system.

TY! I'm just trying to hedge my bet and save time IF I have to re-install the OS.

TY! I'm just trying to hedge my bet and save time IF I have to re-install the OS.

If you do have to reinstall, give it a shot. IIRC, the key is requested a few minutes in to the process. If it doesn't work, you're out a few minutes. If it does, you saved 5 hours.

If you do have to reinstall, give it a shot. IIRC, the key is requested a few minutes in to the process. If it doesn't work, you're out a few minutes. If it does, you saved 5 hours.

You are correct! Hopefully the re-install won't happen, and I'm just waiting to get a new 'puter next year.

TY!

If I have an SP2 disc for another computer, can I use that fro a reformat, but use my KEY for the SP1 pack?

To an extent yes, but there are some things that won't work. For example, an XP update key won't work on a Full version CD, and a dell restore disc may or may not work with an HP key, usually worse case scenario is it lets you install, but you have to call MS when it is time to activate, pretty harmless. Email me an address and I'll mail you an OEM XP SP2 cd that will let you install with virtually any key from any brand PC, you just may have to call MS to activate, takes 5 min.

To an extent yes, but there are some things that won't work. For example, an XP update key won't work on a Full version CD, and a dell restore disc may or may not work with an HP key, usually worse case scenario is it lets you install, but you have to call MS when it is time to activate, pretty harmless. Email me an address and I'll mail you an OEM XP SP2 cd that will let you install with virtually any key from any brand PC, you just may have to call MS to activate, takes 5 min.

I got the SP2 CD today! Thank you, my friend! :doh:

FWIW......since I followed your link's instructions and spent the 9 hours rebuilding, my system hasn't been this fast since I got it! It does give me an error though, probably because of all the crap. If I go into msconfig and make changes to the 'Startup' it says "Access denied". You "MAY" (typical MS speak. :D ) have to login in as an Administrator to make changes." But the changes do go through. I'm logged in as an Admin, and even if I ctrl-alt-del twice to get the old login screen and login as "Administrator" I get the same message. :D

I still owe you. Check your PM's.

Thanks again BRO! :tup: