[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Checking references after a job has been offered?

10MILESDEEP

Last Wednesday I got an offer from a company in writing. It was a conditional offer pending background and reference checks. At that time, I accepted and told them I'd wait to hear from them that everything was clear before I turned in my notice at my current employer.

So, I get a call Tuesday from the company saying everything is clear, when can you start etc. I call them back and tell them I can start on the 30th. Then I go to my boss to give my notice. My boss basically says they were about to give me a promotion and a raise blah blah blah and I tell him basically my decision has been made. This kind of annoyed me because had they given me a promotion and a raise earlier I would have never talked to this other company.

Then today, I get a call from one of my friends (references) saying that the new company has left him a message requesting a reference. Very strange, since Tuesday they told me everything was final.

:D

Last Wednesday I got an offer from a company in writing. It was a conditional offer pending background and reference checks. At that time, I accepted and told them I'd wait to hear from them that everything was clear before I turned in my notice at my current employer.

So, I get a call Tuesday from the company saying everything is clear, when can you start etc. I call them back and tell them I can start on the 30th. Then I go to my boss to give my notice. My boss basically says they were about to give me a promotion and a raise blah blah blah and I tell him basically my decision has been made. This kind of annoyed me because had they given me a promotion and a raise earlier I would have never talked to this other company.

Then today, I get a call from one of my friends (references) saying that the new company has left him a message requesting a reference. Very strange, since Tuesday they told me everything was final.

Maybe he was late picking up his messages or the hiring manager is swamped and he's going through the motions (believe me, I know how this works). Whatever, I don't think you have cause to worry.

Side note - wanna bet you weren't getting any raise or promotion really?

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Not a huge deal- offers are contingent on background and ref checks- but the background is the main point. Reference checks are just a formality, since all yer references will remark on yer outstanding skills and professionalism, and dedication.

I wouldn't worry about it. I do ref. checks all the time, and they have NEVER caused an offer to be pulled. Just make sure yer references are all on board, which I am sure you have.

You better be nice to your friend till this whole thing goes through.

10milesdeep, it sounds like your boss is just being a dlck about the raise thing. Bleep him.

On a related subject, I'm growing very annoyed with online job applications for companies that want references upfront before you find out whether you will get an interview. I know there is no law against this, but I think it is grossly inappropriate. What is to stop them from contacting your current employer against your wishes?