[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Island Green-Sawgrass Hole #17

PantherDave

Your a card holding tour player-so, in essence, your fuggin one of the best in the world at golf.

Now, here you have a hole that plays from the back tee's at around 130-140 yds.

Now, also take into account that these guy's get paid good money for what they do-a given, so there's a "day's pay" or "week's pay" -you can make a move on Sun"day" ala Serg and make some serious coin. Then there is Mickelson, who was steady for the "week" and cashed in the 1.6 mill check, while Serg got hot on Sunday to make up fore the Double Bogey finish on Saturday to bank $972,000. You can also throw Jose Maria into as well, who turned it around from an opening round of 78 to holding outright 3rd for awhile on Sunday-solid three days work by Jose.

Now, we come to Mr. Sean O'Hare, who when he stepped onto the tee box of aforementioned #17 at Sawgrass(now this green is really not that small as it's one of the bigger ones on the course). He was in sole possesion of second place(see Serg's purse above for said amount) and Phil was I will give..safely on with a PW from 135, but a 9 iron :D .....heck, I would have hit PW from there myself? So, he fly's the green....then try's to hit a knock down close(stupid shot on that hole from that distance....SW) and finds the water again....get's on in 5.....two putts for Quad Bog and falls to a cluster at -6 and loses close to $500,000 in the process. I wish they would give out a stat as to how much money these guy's have lost on this little but super indimidating Par 3 over the years.

We now go on to 18 and do make it short.....he Bogey's the hole.....and loses another $247,000 on one stroke.

So, to sum it all up, you never get cocky with #17 at Sawgrass, and in the span of two holes on a Sunday afternoon this young man lost $747,000..his check which could have been obtained went from $972,000 to the 11th place money(which is still good coin for 4 days of golf-but but it into there $ perspective) of $225,000.

A lesson learned on a tuff golf course and it should make him a better player because of it, as he's had to deal with touhger stuff than he experienced on Sunday.

Edited by PantherDave

He decided to go at the pin with his tee shot (and the win). It was a good line, but it looked like a little adrenaline kicked in. Mickleson said in his interview that the wind also shifted on O'Hare. He thought his second shot was going to bite. Mabe, a poor decision, but he's the pro, not me.

He is only 24, and I would guess that Sunday will make him a better golfer over the long run.

He decided to go at the pin with his tee shot (and the win). It was a good line, but it looked like a little adrenaline kicked in. Mickleson said in his interview that the wind also shifted on O'Hare. He thought his second shot was going to bite. Mabe, a poor decision, but he's the pro, not me.

He is only 24, and I would guess that Sunday will make him a better golfer over the long run.

Give the man some credit for having the stones to play for the win instead of playing for the paycheck. Sure, the play may have been a little callous but

a) it made for an exciting finish to a good tournament (albeit was dpressing to see him fall so far)

:D it showed the O'hair's true character as a competitor, and hopefully one day, a winner.

Golf needs more players like him.

That is the beauty of that hole. It is directly in between clubs if you go for the Sunday pin. You need to aim 15 to 20 feet left and hope you can work the break in the green. It was a dumb but admirable play to go at the pin. If it wasnt just a push.