[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question About Cape Canaveral

Easy n Dirty

I'm helping my daughter do a report on Florida, and one stupid question is bugging me - what is the difference between Cape Canaveral and the Kennedy Space center?

Thanks in advance.

The Kennedy Space Center is on Cape Canaveral. (Back in 1963 they changed the name of Cape Canaveral to Cape Kennedy, but then they changed it back to Cape Canaveral in 1973--I'm guessing this is what might be causing the confusion.)

Cape Canavral is in Florida and the Kennedy Space Center is in Houston? :D I think takeoff's are from Canavral and landings are in Kennedy.

The space center in Houston is called the Johnson Space center. Cape Canaveral is the city where the Kenedy Space center is located. There is also an Air Force base in Cape Canaveral.

According to THIS chat w/ an astronaut, there are a couple of landing sites for the shuttle. Edwards Airforce Base in CA, Kenedy Space Center & White Sands, NM.

Bah - the Tailgate let me down on this one. :D

I did more research with my daughter - Cape Canaveral is a piece of land along the east coast of Florida. The space center used to be located there, but was moved in 1964 or so to Merrit Island, a small island between the mainland and Cape Canaveral. For this reason, the two are often referred as one and the same, but they are not. Adding to the confusion is that there is another facility on Cape Canaveral where NASA continues to test rockets, but all manned flights, including space shuttle flights, are from the Kennedy Space Center on Merrit Island.

The space center in Houston is called the Johnson Space center. Cape Canaveral is the city where the Kenedy Space center is located. There is also an Air Force base in Cape Canaveral.

According to THIS chat w/ an astronaut, there are a couple of landing sites for the shuttle. Edwards Airforce Base in CA, Kenedy Space Center & White Sands, NM.

Back in 1995 I think they landed the shuttle at Edwards and I felt the sonic boom - much like a quick earthquake as the building shook for like a second.