[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Computer help

Furd

My old POS PC just died. I'm not sure what's wrong with it. Its getting power but does nothing when I push the power button. Rather than dick around with it, I'm going to by a new PC. I have some files on the C drive that I want to save and/or transfer to the new PC. I figure that the easiest way to do this is to buy an enclosure and convert the old hard drive to an external drive. I recall that H8 and others had experience with this.

Any recommendations in this regard? Is there a better way to do it?

TIA.

My old POS PC just died. I'm not sure what's wrong with it. Its getting power but does nothing when I push the power button. Rather than dick around with it, I'm going to by a new PC. I have some files on the C drive that I want to save and/or transfer to the new PC. I figure that the easiest way to do this is to buy an enclosure and convert the old hard drive to an external drive. I recall that H8 and others had experience with this.

Any recommendations in this regard? Is there a better way to do it?

TIA.

If you want to open up the new computer you can always slave it to the master drive, but buying an enclosure is probably the easier way to go.

If you want to open up the new computer you can always slave it to the master drive, but buying an enclosure is probably the easier way to go.

I've done that before. But I heard that there may be some compatibility issues, and the external drive solution seems easier.

Sorry for the fast reply, and sorry you had to waste your time with these d00shbags.

What you want to do couldn't be simpler, here is all you need: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817185009

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

As usual.................good info!

And if you want to keep that new computer backed up regularly, True Image 10 by Acronis is an awesome backup / imaging application. (Can also use it to quickly move the data from old to new.

RR

I tried that prog out (30 day trial). It worked well enough, so I bought it. $21.99 @ amazon & newegg. Their website wanted $49.00! :D Admittedly, I have not YET needed to do a restore, but it looks like it will do the job just fine.