[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any advice to improve my team?

30 player dynasty league, will cut rosters down to 20 prior to rookie/FA draft that will be at the end of preseason (so I will have to cut 10). I am aware of the obvious...that my runningback situation could use improvement. Tight ends are not required, though I have maybe the 2 best in the game. This is what I currently have going:

Delhomme, Jake - 7

Smith, Alex SFO QB - 6

Chatman, Jesse MIA RB - 9

Cobbs, Patrick MIA RB - 9

Dayne, Ron HOU RB - 10

Green, Ahman HOU RB - 10

Herron, Noah GBP RB - 7

Jones, Greg JAC RB - 4

Parker, Willie PIT RB - 6

Perkins, Ray MIA RB - 9

Robinson, Michael SFO RB - 6

Ross, Derrick KCC RB - 8

Smith, Musa BAL RB - 8

Taylor, Chris HOU RB - 10

Berrian, Bernard CHI WR - 9

Bradley, Mark CHI WR - 9

Jones, Brandon TEN WR - 4

Owens, Terrell DAL WR - 8

Washington, Nate PIT WR - 6

Davis, Vernon SFO TE - 6

Gates, Antonio SDC TE - 7

Kaeding, Nate SDC PK - 7

Abraham, John ATL DE - 8

Edwards, Donnie KCC LB - 8

Henderson, E.J. MIN LB - 5

Phillips, Shaun SDC LB - 7

Pierce, Antonio NYG LB - 9

Harrison, Rodney NEP S - 10

Jones, Sean CLE S - 7

Wilson, Adrian ARI S

League rosters:

http://football13.myfantasyleague.com/2007...ns?L=32081&O=07

Edited by Crazysight

Well, the good news is that it shouldn't be heartbreaking to you to find 10 players to cut from your roster...

:D

Seriously, you've got a decent 1/2 punch at RB with Parker & A Green, and you've got Green's handcuff in Dayne. Looks like you've been doing a lot of reaching on RBs who manage to get their name in the news for a week or so. Honestly, I think your WR situation is a bit more troubling than your RBs. Owens is a big-timer but is a wild card in that you never know where his behavior will lead him. Berrrian is a better solid #3 FF WR than a reliable #2 FF WR, and you really don't have a hell of a lot beyond that.

What are the chances of trading one of your TEs - parting with Gates is really tough, but he's got superb value - for a lower #1/upper #2 WR? I'm not a fan of dealing great value, but you've got to upgrade those WRs before you head into the draft, and then get a rookie RB to add depth to you RB corps (I assume you have a good rookie pick?). Pick up a dropping WR talent in your upcoming draft with your second pick, or look for a guy like Stanton to add QB depth with it.

Your QB tandem of Delhomme/Smith doesn't look very good right now, but I think you'll see enough improvement from Smith that you'll be able to play QBBC & get decent results.

Just my thoughts...

My chances of trading gates for a top WR is nil. He is the same thing as a wide receiver in my league (that's what I meant by tight ends are not required), therefore I have 4 receivers in Owens, Gates, Davis and Berrian.

Haven't really reached for runningbacks who get their names in the news so much as I've just tried to secure backups in case the starters go down.

I don't have a first rounder as I traded it last year for a first rounder that ended up being Vernon Davis (would have been number 9 this year had I kept it).

Edited by Crazysight

My chances of trading gates for a top WR is nil. He is the same thing as a wide receiver in my league (that's what I meant by tight ends are not required), therefore I have 4 receivers in Owens, Gates, Davis and Berrian.

That's my bad. I missed the non-mandatory TE.

The RBs that you have accumulated really aren't threats to take over fulltime even if the starter goes down. I see a lot of #3 & #4 RBs out there.

Okay, we need to change gears. You quite frankly don't have a team that can be competitive next season, and you've got some older players who may not be in the league in 2-3 years when you hope to have your team rebuilt - namely Owens & A Green.

Knowing those 2 guys most probably won't do you much good unless you really get exceptionally lucky in the draft, I'd start shopping both of them for 1st round draft picks in the upcoming draft or next year's draft - where you'll get more value in a RB rich draft. Concede this year instead of ending up mediocre for the next 5 years. If you can get a mid-round 1st for Owens this year or next, and a late 1st this year or next for Green, I'd take them & start rebuilding around Parker, Berrian, and one of your TEs. Get what you can for either Gates or Davis - and trading Gates may get you a late 2008 1st rounder or a high 2007 2nd rounder.

Sometimes you just have to admit that your team is in a quagmire & start accumulating draft picks to start over rather than rostering older vets & stringing seasons along. I'm doing that with 1 team this year. It looks like that's where you are with this team.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Nah..not ready to surrender just yet. Believe it or not, but i had this same unimpressive-looking group last year minus T.O. and still managed to finish 4th overall in our 12 team league (helps to be in a weak division). I traded for T.O. so that I COULD stay in the middle of things. I've never finished worse than 4th in our 6 (going on 7) years, so until I do I'm going to keep trying to right the ship using skill, tact, and other people's misfortune.

I don't think anyone will give me a mid-first for Owens next year considering that I traded a late first from next year to acquire him a few months ago. Maybe they will come the second half on the season if I'm already out of it and they want a boost for the playoffs...in that case I might look into stripping things down and building for the future. We tend to have to hit rock bottom for the rebuilding strategy to be of any value anyways as the top of the rookie draft is where all the solid picks are. I haven't had a pick in the top 8 for 5 (going on 6) drafts now, and it was only through skill that i managed to maneuver to acquire the one good young RB that I still have.

But you're right, my team is getting old and I am really going to need to apply myself if I'm going to be able to right things without stripping everything down. If I see things going in that direction in the next year or two and am not able to acquire young talent any other way than stripping things down will likely be my best option. I'm going to have to be more aggessive than ever on the waivers and through trades to avoid that possibility. If I can pick up one or two young quality players this year through that method I may be able to succeed in partially stripping things down to rebuild with more youth without sinking the ship, say by trading Owens for another late first rounder.

Edited by Crazysight