[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

salary cap in professional sports

isleseeya

125 max cap ...yanks, mets red sox and one or two more would have to trim

50 million -60 million minimum - a whole bunch woiuld have to spend up which they should anyway as too many owners have not done enough to help their teams

Baseball would be much better for it imo

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

125 max cap ...yanks, mets red sox and one or two more would have to trim

50 million -60 million minimum - a whole bunch woiuld have to spend up which they should anyway as too many owners have not done enough to help their teams

Baseball would be much better for it imo

According to this, actually only the Red Sox and Yanks would have to trim (and only the Yanks significantly). Meanwhile 7 teams (4 if it's 50 mil) would have to increase their spending (much more important IMO). Once again, especially in light of the fact that the only two teams that would have to trim salaries have combined for exactly one WS Championship since 2000, I just don't see the hugh impact that you're hoping for.

None the less, knock yourself out. Make this hugh change that effects almost nobody and see how much it saves the game.

i would argue for a soft cap of about $80 million, beyond which you pay a pretty steep "luxury tax" up to a hard cap of say $120 million. minimum cap of around $60 mill. and if in the negotiation process any teams whine about not having $60 million to shell out for player salaries in their market, they can either sell the team or, even better, become candidates for contraction.

According to this, actually only the Red Sox and Yanks would have to trim (and only the Yanks significantly). Meanwhile 7 teams (4 if it's 50 mil) would have to increase their spending (much more important IMO). Once again, especially in light of the fact that the only two teams that would have to trim salaries have combined for exactly one WS Championship since 2000, I just don't see the hugh impact that you're hoping for.

None the less, knock yourself out. Make this hugh change that effects almost nobody and see how much it saves the game.

the fact you could write that is hilarious ...made this like a personal crusade to prove a cap will not help baseball ..it would help ..

and Payrolls are higher now that the link you provided although if 125 million is still too high then 100 million is fine as well and would force a larger # of teams to adjust and create a more balnced league

you fought a good battle detlef but again you did nothing to dispel theory that A cap would help baseball a great deal ...case dismissed :D

Edited by isleseeya

Detlef , in fact it is no cap in baseball that is killing it

Can I just mention here that baseball is, in fact, alive and very well, thank you? It's attendances have gone up every year for the past (I think) 5 years.

It ain't dead, folks, in fact it's not even ill. While I despise the Yankees and Red Sox as much as anyone (a pox be upon them), baseball itself is doing fine.

Can I just mention here that baseball is, in fact, alive and very well, thank you? It's attendances have gone up every year for the past (I think) 5 years.

It ain't dead, folks, in fact it's not even ill. While I despise the Yankees and Red Sox as much as anyone (a pox be upon them), baseball itself is doing fine.

tell the royal , devil ray and pirates fans that

baseball needs improvements ..ofcourse it wont die as its been around for 100 years ..but the current system is very flawed and other professional sports have benefited from a salary cap ..baseball would to

the fact you could write that is hilarious ...made this like a personal crusade to prove a cap will not help baseball ..it would help ..

and Payrolls are higher now that the link you provided although if 125 million is still too high then 100 million is fine as well and would force a larger # of teams to adjust and create a more balnced league

you fought a good battle detlef but again you did nothing to dispel theory that A cap would help baseball a great deal ...case dismissed :D

Is it not 2007? That is a list of the 2007 MLB payrolls.

Yer funny. Once again, this whole topic was started by you. Your attempts to back up your claim have been feeble at best, and yet you crown yourself victorious in this argument. Handy.

None the less, you have a great idea. Make a rule that effects almost nobody and hope it "saves" the game.

That said, Azz's suggestion is fine. I don't think a cap would hurt baseball. However, like Ursa says, the lack of one is hardly killing it. My only point all along is that the notion of NFL has a cap, NFL is good, MLB doesn't have one, so that's why it's not as good, is silly.

Edited by detlef

Yer funny. Once again, this whole topic was started by you. Your attempts to back up your claim have been feeble at best, and yet you crown yourself victorious in this argument. Handy.

None the less, you have a great idea. Make a rule that effects almost nobody and hope it "saves" the game.

:D

okay , if it makes you feel better , you win ..you won :D

no cap for baseball ..its a terrible idea ..it wont help one bit :tup:

Royals and Devil Rays in AL championship game by 2099 and winner gets to meet Pirates

whatever ..it will be a long time before i take athread like this as personally as you ..Thank God

Is it not 2007? That is a list of the 2007 MLB payrolls.

That said, Azz's suggestion is fine. I don't think a cap would hurt baseball. However, like Ursa says, the lack of one is hardly killing it. My only point all along is that the notion of NFL has a cap, NFL is good, MLB doesn't have one, so that's why it's not as good, is silly.

Royals and Devil Rays in AL championship game by 2099 and winner gets to meet Pirates

whatever ..it will be a long time before i take athread like this as personally as you ..Thank God

Why don't you two settle this like REAL MEN...

...at Conquer Club...

Dude, I'm not taking this personally. You started the thread and I didn't agree with you. That's what you do on these sites! You continue to backpedal saying that you need to be proven wrong as if it is assumed you are arguing from the default correct stance. I like a good argument, that's it. Does it irritate me that you've chosen to avoid a bunch of valid points made against your theory? Well, in as much as you started this, I suppose. Perhaps I should suggest that if you don't want people to disagree with a point you use to start a thread. Start one that says the sky is up.

Dude, I'm not taking this personally. You started the thread and I didn't agree with you. That's what you do on these sites! You continue to backpedal saying that you need to be proven wrong as if it is assumed you are arguing from the default correct stance. I like a good argument, that's it. Does it irritate me that you've chosen to avoid a bunch of valid points made against your theory? Well, in as much as you started this, I suppose. Perhaps I should suggest that if you don't want people to disagree with a point you use to start a thread. Start one that says the sky is up.

you are killing me ..please stop :D

that's what i do on these sites ... like you know what i do on the huddle ..really you are fantastic

are you not the same fellow who wrote you would like to punch Irish in a thread and threatened him with bodily harm ..just because you did not like him or what he wrote ...i think that says alot right there ..ALOT ..plentyy of other examples ..plenty ..for the record , you lost the battle in my thread ..you made no real pts and just threw around alot of hot air ...but like i said if it makes you feel beter than i will tell everyone you won ..hey all Detlef Won

by the way the sky is up

you are killing me ..please stop :D

that's what i do on these sites ... like you know what i do on the huddle ..really you are fantastic

are you not the same fellow who wrote you would like to punch Irish in a thread and threatened him with bodily harm ..just because you did not like him or what he wrote ...i think that says alot right there ..ALOT ..plentyy of other examples ..plenty ..for the record , you lost the battle in my thread ..you made no real pts and just threw around alot of hot air ...but like i said if it makes you feel beter than i will tell everyone you won ..hey all Detlef Won

by the way the sky is up

OK, you've finally got me on something. I should have said, "That's what people do on these sites". The "you" was implied, as in, what one does on these sites.

One guy makes a point, others argue against it if they choose, he defends it. That's pretty much how it goes.

This argument is dead now, so I'll just now defend myself against your latest little blast.

I don't know what you're talking about with Irish. I recall, like others, taking great offense to him getting on that one huddler in the drunk driving incident, but the worst I did there was call him a jerk-off. Perhaps I'm missing something.

i thought i saw it for sure in a thread with Irish ( could search for it but dont see the point as trying to move on ) ..and i remembered thinking that people should not get so worked up in a thread ...anyway at this point i apologize if things got to heated ..i honestly have no problems with you at all and we like to move on ...its much better to laugh in these threads than get worked up especially over something like this ... allis cool from my side

i thought i saw it for sure in a thread with Irish ( could search for it but dont see the point as trying to move on ) ..and i remembered thinking that people should not get so worked up in a thread ...anyway at this point i apologize if things got to heated ..i honestly have no problems with you at all and we like to move on ...its much better to laugh in these threads than get worked up especially over something like this ... allis cool from my side

Well, it was a fine guess in terms of Irish. I don't doubt no less than 20 people here have threatened him at one point or another.