[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Action Park

Duchess Jack

We were talking at work today about a local amusement park called 'Action Park'. It closed down a few years ago, but later opened under a different name/company. I wanted to see what they are called and found this article.

Action Park - wikipedia

Some Highlights:

Its popularity went hand in hand with a reputation for poorly-designed, unsafe rides; inattentive, underaged, underpaid and sometimes under-the-influence employees[1]; equally intoxicated and underprepared visitors — and the poor safety record that followed from this perfect storm of circumstances. At least six people are known to have died as a result of mishaps on rides at the park, and it was nicknamed "Traction Park",[2] "Accident Park",[3] "Danger Park" and "Death Park" by doctors at nearby hospitals due to the number of severely injured parkgoers they treated.

Action Park's alpine slide descended the mountain roughly below one of the ski area's chairlifts, resulting in much verbal harassment and sometimes spitting from passengers going up for their turn, who would often be entertained by the accidents they witnessed while at the same time hoping to avoid similar fates.[9]

The tracks themselves were made of concrete and fiberglass, which led to numerous serious abrasions on riders who took even mild spills. The tendency of some to ride in bathing suits so they could go on to Waterworld attractions afterwards exacerbated this problem.

The sleds themselves were a large factor in the injuries. A stick that was supposed to control speed led, in practice, to just two options on the infrequently maintained vehicles: extremely slow, and a speed described by one former employee as "death awaits."

Also, nonswimmers would jump off the cliffs, not fully appreciating how deep the water below was, and have to be rescued. Former employee Tom Fergus says the bottom of the pool was eventually painted white to make it easier to spot any bodies on the bottom.
Edited by Duchess Jack

WHA???

Action Park was literally the greatest place on earth for me from the ages of like 5 to 25.

Super-fast go-carts, tons of water rides... it was a blast. I must have been there 20 times. That cliff jump was pretty cool. We dared each other to go head first off it against the rules. Good times. Good times.

By the way... that article is a great read. :D The looping waterslide. :D That thing was NEVER open. Now I know why.

WHA???

Action Park was literally the greatest place on earth for me from the ages of like 5 to 25.

Super-fast go-carts, tons of water rides... it was a blast. I must have been there 20 times. That cliff jump was pretty cool. We dared each other to go head first off it against the rules. Good times. Good times.

By the way... that article is a great read. :tup:The looping waterslide. :D That thing was NEVER open. Now I know why.

It's the stuff that adolesent dreams are made of... then slammed on your face as an adult you realize that we are not invincible. :D

That Alpine slide was fun, but I knew many people who got messed up on it. I luckily escaped unharmed. Some of the water rides were ok too. As far as skiing there during the winter, it's strictly a beginner's hill. Absolutely nothing even remotely challenging.

You know... Action Park wasn't the only place with an Alpine slide... Mt Tom had one, and other places as well. Are they all closed now?

Camelback mountain in the Poconoes (sp?) had one. I went there every year after sleepaway camp ended.