[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gambling Ref in the NBA

chiefjay

This could get interesting. I guess we are all a bit foolish if we don't believe that this happens in some capacity in the various sports. Won't help the integrity at all though as a point of discussion always is the calls that certain players get and don't get.

I'm not an NBA fan to begin with, and I'm still getting that sinking feeling that the worst is yet to come. If Donaghy rats out any other refs or players, it's basically nuclear winter for the NBA, and it will drop close to the bottom of the U.S. sports totem pole, beneath hot dog eating, roach racing, the World Series of Tiddlywinks, and maybe even (gasp!) the NHL. (Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!)

Edited by Pack Mentality

I'm not an NBA fan to begin with, and I'm still getting that sinking feeling that the worst is yet to come. If Donaghy rats out any other refs or players, it's basically nuclear winter for the NBA, and it will drop close to the bottom of the U.S. sports totem pole, beneath hot dog eating, roach racing, the World Series of Tiddlywinks, and maybe even (gasp!) the NHL. (Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!)

If there are other refs involved, the NBA is in deeper trouble than any sport has been for many years. I'm guessing this is isolated, or, if it isn't, the NBA will make darn sure nothing else surfaces.

Why? Are you saying that the gambling didn't affect who won, just how much the winner won by?

Not how much the winner won by, but the total amount of points scored in a game by both teams. Ref could influence that wager without having to take sides in a game. Possibly calling ticky tack fouls at the end of the game vs. letting the clock run out in those last 20 seconds or so.

Not how much the winner won by, but the total amount of points scored in a game by both teams. Ref could influence that wager without having to take sides in a game. Possibly calling ticky tack fouls at the end of the game vs. letting the clock run out in those last 20 seconds or so.

Gotcha.

Gotcha.

Would think college football coaches are in a great position to get away with this kind of gambling especially when playing one of their rent a win games. Who's going to accuse a coach of gambling when he either subs early or decides to give his first team more experience.

Would think college football coaches are in a great position to get away with this kind of gambling especially when playing one of their rent a win games. Who's going to accuse a coach of gambling when he either subs early or decides to give his first team more experience.

All sports are vulnerable to cheating refs (and players too). Soccer has had a raft of scandals from Europe to Malaysia, cricket has been scandal-ridden for a decade, baseball, well, we all know that's been going on for a century and on and on. As you rightly point out, there are some situations where it's next to impossible to prove anything.

Wasn't the gambling only involved in the over/under wagers? That wouldn't make it ok, but much easier to handle .

Hardly. A ref doing this would just call random fouls at the beginning of the fourth quarter to get a team in the bonus. After that, every foul is an opportunity to score points. Their intent might not be to affect a side, but it totally is.