[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bikes: how good are "Trek" bikes?

BeeR

Pls note when I say "how good" I'm mostly interested in confirming they aren't cheaply made bikes like Huffy etc. Beyond that, I really don't care because I'm not a "hard core" cyclist....just want to make sure it's likely to hold up a reasonably long time.

Recreational bikes are all about the components and drive train. A good default is, if you don't want to spend a lot of time researching, look for Shimano or SRAM components.

Trek does have a good reputation. If you link the styles you are looking for that lists the components, I can review it and give you my opinion. If you are considering one price point higher or lower I can tell you what you are getting for the money. For example, it might be worth it to spend $50 more to get a Shimano LX versus say a Shimano Acera derailleur (sp?)

Also if you are looking for a mtn bike you want good shocks. Keep in mind, shocks hinder not help you are hard surfaces. So, don't buy a hardtail bike if you are never going to be on the trail.

Guest ksu70

I don't know a thing about bikes but some of the owners of the Trek company are members at my club and they are pretty proud of their product. That probably doesn't help too much but it gave me a chance to do some name-dropping!

So far as I know, Trek runs the gamut - solid bikes to top-of-the-line type stuff. I'd assume you're looking for something more modest than the TdF-winning Madone.

Still, I have no problem saying it's a good product.

Thanks. Again I'm very much on the low end of seriousness about biking and looking to spend as little as possible w/o getting a total "wal mart bike" - beyond that I don't give a rats ass about brand names etc etc. ie I would be happy to find a used schwinn for $50-75ish. Very casual "backyard" rider.

Anyway I went to see the bike - a Trek 4000 or some such. He said it was 26" but I doubt it, seemed a bit smaller. Light for a mtn bike (I don't want a mtn bike per se, but again for my purposes don't think it matters much) and rode fine, except about 4 out of 5 times, it wouldn't shift onto the lower gear wheel so I could get to the lower 9 gears (it's a 27 speed). Still probably well worth the $100 or so he's asking, but I'm a cheap SOB :D

Any idea what it might run to get that thing fixed? Obviously hard to say as the problem isn't obvious or definite to me, but something about the part that "bumps" the chain over doesn't seem to be quite doing it. I have no idea what bike repair costs run though.

Edited by BeeR

Anyway I went to see the bike - a Trek 4000 or some such. He said it was 26" but I doubt it, seemed a bit smaller. Light for a mtn bike and rode fine, except about 4 out of 5 times, it wouldn't shift onto the lower gear wheel so I could get to the lower 9 gears (it's a 27 speed). Still probably well worth the $100 or so he's asking, but I'm a cheap SOB :D

Any idea what it might run to get that thing fixed? Obviously hard to say as the problem isn't obvious or definite to me, but something about the part that "bumps" the chain over doesn't seem to be quite doing it. I have no idea what bike repair costs run though.

I'm highly casual myself but learning - sounds like your derailleur isn't working right. I couldn't even guess what that would cost - if nobody steps forward, call a bike shop and say your purchasing a bike with what appears to be a defective derailler (pronounced di-rail-er, roughly) and ask for a ballpark estimate. It's controlled by a cable, so it could be a simple 5-minute fix.