[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Paper Shredders

Cunning Linguist

A good friend of mine just emailed this to me... :D He's a programmer that i hire out and works out of his house.

"On Thursday around lunch time my Son, (almost 6), had an accident involving my office paper shredder. He spent the day at the hospital undergoing surgery on the fingers of his left hand. There was no bone loss, but the tips of two of his fingers were badly damaged. The surgeon was able to repair his middle finger but his ring finger sustained a bit more trauma so it will be a bit more of a wait and see on how that one will heal."

He said that it's unplugged most the time, but the little guy wandered in when he was on the phone and made a beeline right at it. By the time he got over there, the damage was done.

We keep ours unplugged unless it being used and we don't even have kids! I worry about our pets getting there paws in it.

I'm not sure. I bet he'll be ordering one asap if it didn't.

I'd just be very interested to know if it had one but it was ineffective, or if it didn't have one at all. If he purchased it within the last few years it should have a safety bar for certain. But if it is an older shredder, then its 50/50.

There's no way a kid could get his or her hand in my shredder. Bummer that it happened, but at least it doesn't sound like the kid will lose part of his finger permanently.

Man you would think a 6 year old would be aware enough not to get his fingers caught up in a shredder. I hope this doesn't affect him the rest of his life. Amazing how quickly these thigns can happen.

I thought that too. You'd think at that age, he would know better. It still sucks, hopefully he doesn't have nerve damage... although im not sure how you couldn't after that.