[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Padilla case to Jury

Pope Flick

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20278932/

Padilla, a U.S. citizen, was held for 3½ years as an enemy combatant following his May 2002 arrest as authorities initially claimed he was part of an al-Qaida plot to set off a radioactive “dirty bomb” in a U.S. city. He was added in late 2005 to an existing Miami terrorism support indictment amid a legal battle over President Bush’s authority to continue detaining him without charge.

Story continues below ↓advertisement

The “dirty bomb” allegations disappeared and are not included in the trial, in part because Padilla was never provided a lawyer or read his Miranda rights when he was interrogated about the alleged plot while in military custody.

This ought to be interesting. If he signed the al-queda doc, there's no doubt kail time a la John Walker Lindh is due.

But it's this whole dirty bomb thing that seems to be the problem. If you recall, John Ashcroft gave a major news conference at the time of the arrest while in Moscow. Unfortunately it is not on youtube, but a link would show him talking about this being basically a slam dunk indictment.

Now with its disapearance, one has to wonder how responsible they either were with legit charges that they now cannot punish for, or if their hyperbole was designed in a way to keep the public frightened.

In any event, the fact that a citizen who was stripped of his right of due process is finally getting it is a positive step.

Dirty bomb equals fear , which at the time equalled turning to bush and administration for safety , which equalled bush approval rating going up

I have become cynical and while I hate the fact that I am , I find it harder to beleieve anything this administration cooked up

And if he deserved punishment for an act of violence he committed as a minor so be it but this has nothing to do with this case and these charges

Based on the murder of the gang member he committed while he was a minor.

You didn't know about that?

I did and I get it now, I thought you were referring to what I was talking about, but as has been stated, that's not what's in front of us. The issue of due process is.

Also of note is that the Moscow news conference was literally the last news conference Ashcroft gave for over 7 months in the wake of the charges he made that day.