[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Merging .mpeg's

skylive5

Have videos that I am converting to .mpegs, and also have a bunch of .mpeg's from friends of their weddings and such...... and making DVD's out of them.

What I need is a recommendation of a decent program that will merge some of these .mpegs into one file.

How do I tell if a .mpeg is .mpeg1 or.mpeg2?

I have a program that will turn them all into .avi files.... would that be better for placing onto a DVD?

I got AoA DVD Creator but it takes a 20 minute .mpeg and makes it into 45secs. I have no idea what that is about.... :D

Have videos that I am converting to .mpegs, and also have a bunch of .mpeg's from friends of their weddings and such...... and making DVD's out of them.

What I need is a recommendation of a decent program that will merge some of these .mpegs into one file.

How do I tell if a .mpeg is .mpeg1 or.mpeg2?

I have a program that will turn them all into .avi files.... would that be better for placing onto a DVD?

I got AoA DVD Creator but it takes a 20 minute .mpeg and makes it into 45secs. I have no idea what that is about.... :D

I'm guessing you're on a PC.

Windows MovieMaker should be able to import your clips and allow you to string them together how you like and then output them as a single file.

I do all my editing on a Mac primarily. I'm sure somewhere in "Properties" for each clip there is information as to whether or not it is an mpeg1 or mpeg2. Keep in mind these tracks can look funky at times. Occasionally, an mpeg2 is 'muxed' meaning that the video and audio are merged together. Sometimes, this prevents a program such as Windows Movie Mkaer (or Final Cut which is what I use on a mac) from seeing the audio when it is imported. This only means you'll have to 'demux' the clip, which can be done using Windows Media Encoder. If you don't have that or Movie Maker I'm pretty sure MovieMaker is in Service Pack 2 for Windows XP and that Windows Media Encoder is a free download at microsoft.com

Sky - I'll happily help you through this. Jus tkeep in mind that even when I do it professionally on high end equipment converting issues like this can make my head explode. But I'm sure with a little patience and motivation you can get what you need - and if you have a good enough DVD burner we'll get it to play on your TV through your player.

Windows MovieMaker should be able to import your clips and allow you to string them together how you like and then output them as a single file.

I do all my editing on a Mac primarily. I'm sure somewhere in "Properties" for each clip there is information as to whether or not it is an mpeg1 or mpeg2. Keep in mind these tracks can look funky at times. Occasionally, an mpeg2 is 'muxed' meaning that the video and audio are merged together. Sometimes, this prevents a program such as Windows Movie Mkaer (or Final Cut which is what I use on a mac) from seeing the audio when it is imported. This only means you'll have to 'demux' the clip, which can be done using Windows Media Encoder. If you don't have that or Movie Maker I'm pretty sure MovieMaker is in Service Pack 2 for Windows XP and that Windows Media Encoder is a free download at microsoft.com

Sky - I'll happily help you through this. Jus tkeep in mind that even when I do it professionally on high end equipment converting issues like this can make my head explode. But I'm sure with a little patience and motivation you can get what you need - and if you have a good enough DVD burner we'll get it to play on your TV through your player.

Sky,

Sounds like Pope nailed it. Better than I could do! :D

rr26

Yes...I am.

Thank you Pope..... you helped tremendously. I didn't even know there was a Windows movie maker...but a search of my machine found it and it works just fine! You have saved me a bunch of time.... appreciate it much!

Huh...had what I needed all the time.... who woulda thought? LOL

Off to making movies.....

Yes...I am.

Thank you Pope..... you helped tremendously. I didn't even know there was a Windows movie maker...but a search of my machine found it and it works just fine! You have saved me a bunch of time.... appreciate it much!

Huh...had what I needed all the time.... who woulda thought? LOL

Off to making movies.....

:D

Awesome! WWM I've used at work at time out of necessity. If you don't need anything fancy like precise cross fades then it works just fine.

And if you run into trouble having your mpehs read by WWM, the Windows Media Encoder should help you out.