[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Internet connection question

Mark5

Every day for the last week or so I lose my cable modem connection starting around 1:30/2 pm till about 6/6:30 pm. Cable guy came out and said it was good from the box on the house (but this was while it was working fine) back their way.. Called the solution center a few times and they did a ping but couldn't tell anything because at this time I wasn't getting a connection.. Any ideas what this could be? We did a "tools, internet options, connection, LAN settings and they were fine"..

Sounds like a maintainence issue. Perhaps an amplifier on the main line going bad or perhaps a noise issue with the system.

Do you know if any of your neighbors are having similar issues?

Also - if you haven't done so already, make sure there is a dedicated line to the modem. Meaning, that the line coming to the modem should be a line from the very first splitter - wherever that may be. The more splitters you have between the modem and the pole, the greater the signal loss.

When the call center cannot ping your modem - this indicates a connection issue. In other words, if there were a problem with the settings on your computer, that would not affect the ability of the call center to ping the modem. So, you can eliminate any computer issues as being the problem.

My advice - keep calling unti it is resolved....every day. Eventually, they will get tired of seeing you and find the problem. Trust me on this, I work for Comcast.

Edited by Pirate lookin' at 40

I have Windstream which is trash. About once a month something goes haywire and one of my machines will not log on. I was popping in a mepis linux live cd and running from there. However I have taken to the practice of defraggin m registry which seems to be the only way to fix it.

Sounds like a maintainence issue. Perhaps an amplifier on the main line going bad or perhaps a noise issue with the system.

Do you know if any of your neighbors are having similar issues?

Also - if you haven't done so already, make sure there is a dedicated line to the modem. Meaning, that the line coming to the modem should be a line from the very first splitter - wherever that may be. The more splitters you have between the modem and the pole, the greater the signal loss.

When the call center cannot ping your modem - this indicates a connection issue. In other words, if there were a problem with the settings on your computer, that would not affect the ability of the call center to ping the modem. So, you can eliminate any computer issues as being the problem.

My advice - keep calling unti it is resolved....every day. Eventually, they will get tired of seeing you and find the problem. Trust me on this, I work for Comcast.

They are coming out Friday to run a direct line from the outside splitter, last time I had a connection problem squirrels had eating into the cable from the pole and I brought this up again.. I have been calling every other day so I may step it up and also ask for a discount for a month (can't hurt and they have in the past).. If I can't get it solved I may just go to POLKS house and try this LINUX thing he talks about.. Do you have dialup Polk? LOL.. I know you live out in the sticks where pumping sunshine is optional..

Edited by Mark5