[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thoughts on Drafting

Patriots

I am in a 12 team league with my friends. Its our 7th year. I got the # 1 pick this year. Took LT obviosly, but it was unreal that almost 90% of the picks in the first two rounds were RBs. I ended up with TO and Marvin with my next two picks.

My other observation is that it seemed that some people were upset that they didn't get the #1 pick so someone drafter Turner and the 5th round and said good luck with LT. I draft my team in the hopes that they will be healthy all year. I feel handcuffing unless really late in the draft hurts your team more than helps it. You lose out on guys that actually play and you end up with someone that you have to carry on one of your precious roster spots and this limits your abiliy to pick up quality free agents.

Just my opinion. I feel there is a lot of luck needed in fantasy as well as skill, but I still love playing. Good luck to everyone this season.

I am in a 12 team league with my friends. Its our 7th year. I got the # 1 pick this year. Took LT obviosly, but it was unreal that almost 90% of the picks in the first two rounds were RBs. I ended up with TO and Marvin with my next two picks.

My other observation is that it seemed that some people were upset that they didn't get the #1 pick so someone drafter Turner and the 5th round and said good luck with LT. I draft my team in the hopes that they will be healthy all year. I feel handcuffing unless really late in the draft hurts your team more than helps it. You lose out on guys that actually play and you end up with someone that you have to carry on one of your precious roster spots and this limits your abiliy to pick up quality free agents.

Just my opinion. I feel there is a lot of luck needed in fantasy as well as skill, but I still love playing. Good luck to everyone this season.

Try the 3rd round reversal. It switches the 3rd round and make drafting more fair.

Third Round Reversal or "Banzai" - Often abbreviated "3RR", this alternative draft method has gained popularity in recent years. This style is often confused with Third Round Serpentine (See #3), but it is actually a much simpler draft format. Only Round 3 is reversed from the original "snake" draft order, so the person going last in Round 1 gets to go first in Rounds 2, 3 and 4. The owner who has the first overall pick doesn't start a round again until Round 5.

We random pick order of draft every odd number round. So you don't always get stuck with a late pick. It probably matters far less than in the first roud but it's fun to do ad makes it a little more fair to the late picks.

I can't as well relate this year since I'm in a 8 team draft but to get TO or Harrison in the 3rd roud is a steal especially in a 12 team league.. You should have a clear advantage with your top 3 picks being most likley the top of their position almost a lock to be.

As for taking Turner so early to 'steal' him from you that's his plan maybe it works out maybe it doesn't. I recall 05 LJ was a BU and came in for something like 21 TDs by the end of the year. That year a guy picked LJ in the middle of the draft and people were making fun but we have a double league and the two teams with LJ met in the championship. I believe LJ had the best 9 games to end a year than anyone has ever had.

Maybe Turner will, but chances are not good since LT does not get injured as much as Preist Holmes was but anything can happen.

At the end of my draft I picked Turner but as you said I left a position player on the table so this week I did a waiver drop/add for Winslow and droped Turner.

I feel Winslow could be a top-5 TE (maybe maybe not but I wanted that chance better than Turner being a top-5 RB).

Fact is the guy in your league who picked Turner did do over somebody like Jamal or A.Green or another more solid player. He took high risk/reward player. Thats his option but as you said I like those risks at the last round of the draft not in the middle.

I don't like 8-team leagues, but we were stuck. Also I think we have too short of bench so we can't have 5-6 RBs on the bench so our waiver wire has a lot of talent. I would like to keep Turrner, if we had a deeper draft (more rounds) I would have but I just can't see leaving Winslow on the wire for a guy who may have drafted a clunker TE. So I am playing keep away, since if not for by-week I would not need 2 TEs on my bench.

The thing (bad or good) about 8-team drafts we only will draft about 95 or so players (not counting Kickers or Defence who I don't count as much since there will always be some on the wire). But I mean for example if only 32 RBs and 32 WRs are drafted (4 on each team) than there is a lot of talent such as Braylon Edwards is no my wire. I think he's a quality player but just don't have the bench room for him so in that sense if you get some injury you can go to the wire fairly well. But makes the draft mean less IMO. Draft is still important but wire takes on a new demension.

Edited by rai