[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another example of "Legit" computer people not running Linux

polksalet

I've been seriously thinking about repurposing an old PC to be a home web server that runs a photo blogging app so that family and friends can access full resolution pictures of the family (the Photobucket and Snapfish have resolution limits so they can't print out photo-quality prints unless they pay for it).

It shouldn't be that hard to do.

I've been seriously thinking about repurposing an old PC to be a home web server that runs a photo blogging app so that family and friends can access full resolution pictures of the family (the Photobucket and Snapfish have resolution limits so they can't print out photo-quality prints unless they pay for it).

It shouldn't be that hard to do.

With all of the benefits of linux, I am floored that people here refuse o even try the live versions. Thereis no risk of installation hazards. If you get tired of it just pop it out.

With all of the benefits of linux, I am floored that people here refuse o even try the live versions. Thereis no risk of installation hazards. If you get tired of it just pop it out.

I think that it's less a conscious "refusal" to try Linux than it is a lack of energy to overcome the inertia of continuing on with what is already working. I'm a huge techno-dork and I have an interest in Linux, but taking the time to play around with it hasn't yet hit a spot on my priority list high enough to justify expending any effort.

The reality is that Windows XP is a pretty decent OS and does what people need it to do.

I think that it's less a conscious "refusal" to try Linux than it is a lack of energy to overcome the inertia of continuing on with what is already working. I'm a huge techno-dork and I have an interest in Linux, but taking the time to play around with it hasn't yet hit a spot on my priority list high enough to justify expending any effort.

The reality is that Windows XP is a pretty decent OS and does what people need it to do.

It is my opinion that windows really doesn't work. Spyware, virus threats terrible security all around and that stinking registry do not represent something that works imaho. Dude, if you have dsl you can have it downloaded in less than an hour. it will take a few minutes to burn. if you are set to boot from cd it will take maybe 2 minutes to probe your hardware and set up. When it sets up it will initialize the firewall and you are ready to go. It has the full openoffice suite and an assorment of browsers. When you are done, simply reboot and take it out of the drive and you are ready to boot into xp. Nothing to it. There is no downside to trying it save the price of a cd.

Polk - Red Power, baby.

I only have one desktop running windows at my house because the wife wouldn't be able to use linux.

Let me tell all of you people out there, you need to set up one PC at home with linux REDHAT and learn it. It is far better then any vs of windows, more stable and frankly the best option for anyone out there since IT IS FREE AND DESIGNED BETTER THAN ANY WINDOWS O/S!!!!

Polk - Red Power, baby.

I only have one desktop running windows at my house because the wife wouldn't be able to use linux.

Let me tell all of you people out there, you need to set up one PC at home with linux REDHAT and learn it. It is far better then any vs of windows, more stable and frankly the best option for anyone out there since IT IS FREE AND DESIGNED BETTER THAN ANY WINDOWS O/S!!!!

Why can your wife not run Linux? My wife thinks it is 10 times easier than windows.