[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Losing the first game vs a divisional rival

Skilly

As I see it, losing the first game of the year to a divisional opponent is like starting the year 0-2. The winning team now has a game up on the loser in the standings as well as the tiebreaker advantage. Of course, the season is long and things can change, but I can't help but feel that the losing team is at more of a disadvantage than say another team that loses to a conference opponent. A non-conference loss, especially on the road, generally won't hurt that team (ie Chicago will be fine).

I don't have any prior year's stats to back up my claim: sorry.

Statistically speaking, how is losing game one any different then game 8 or game 16? A win is a win and a loss is a loss. I can understand in college football where a early season loss fscks you out of the polls forever, but not in the NFL. It's purely in the players head that they are any more behind after a first game loss then if that same loss came at some other point in the season.