[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Connecting a work computer to a home network?

myhousekey

They just put my work laptop on a domain and I'm now having trouble getting it re-connected to my home network.

When I attempt to run the Network Setup Wizard it tells me:

Cannot complete the network setup wizard.

The wizard detected that this computer belongs to a domain. Therefore, you cannot use this wizard to setup a network.

Anyone have any experience with this problem and have a solution?

Edited by myhousekey

They just put my work laptop on a domain and I'm now having trouble getting it re-connected to my home network.

When I attempt to run the Network Setup Wizard it tells me:

Anyone have any experience with this problem and have a solution?

I don't think this can be done without reconfiguring the laptop using local admin rights, which would entail removing the domain membership. Then you won't be able to connect at work. The laptop is looking for the domain controller and as a security measure it won't connect to another network. Your IT Dept are expecting the laptop to be used in isolation, using (maybe) EVDO or public wireless to connect to your remote access system if necessary.

If you're trying to map drives or printers, or share folders... just make the network address the IP address.

I could offer more assistance, but for now I'll assume you know what I'm talking about.

Please explain further. I'm more likely to make things worse then better without being sure of the proper steps....

Please explain further. I'm more likely to make things worse then better without being sure of the proper steps....

I dunno... I tried working with Windows home networking and domains and stuff for a while with no success. I posted about it.

Anyway, finally what ended up working was just referencing network printers and network shares by their IP address. I guess it's worth a shot for you. It's possible that it won't work.

So my printer is \\192.168.0.101\Lexmark

And my shared drive is \\192.168.0.101\Media

You might be able to just pop open an Internet Explorer window and type in the IP address to see if you can browse your shares.

Holy crap. I helped someone instead of ridiculing them in sarcastic ways. :D

:wacko: You need to go to on a a retreat, ASAP!!!! Light some candles, say some Hail Mary's, and repent. Frankly, if there is lightning around and I'm near you I'll....:D