[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chicago Marathon called off!

rocknrobn26

Actually, they only closed the 2nd half of the course after 4 hours. One person died and many were taken to hospitals. They probably saved many lives today. The weather here this weekend was completely oppressive--10 times worse than any muggy day in August...I don't get how the same temperature and humidity can feel so much worse. I was golfing yesterday and it was the worst heat ever.

I was golfing yesterday and it was the worst heat ever.

My boy said that exact thing to me on about the third hole yesterday. We were both drenched from head to toe. It is like the worst dog days of summer right now. Can you imagine how that Seattle D felt after being on that field for better than eleven straight minutes today? It was brutal.

My boy said that exact thing to me on about the third hole yesterday. We were both drenched from head to toe. It is like the worst dog days of summer right now. Can you imagine how that Seattle D felt after being on that field for better than eleven straight minutes today? It was brutal.

I completely melted down on the back 9....41-50. More than ever, I could not get the brain and the body to work together.

Back on topic, they are reporting 49 taken to hospitals, and another 250 treated on site.

I missed the first half of the early games because I watched my sister finish a 1/2 marathon in Bellingham. It was cool, cloudy, and windy. I wish she would have ran a full marathon and then I wouldn't have had to watch the 2nd half of the Steeler/Seahawk game.

Yeah, that's a rough one. Course officials made the right decision, as hard as that may be for those that weren't allowed to finish to believe. The people still on the course, with a significant amount of miles left, with the temps still rising, were going to be in trouble. You have to take the runner's safety as top priority, and letting them continue could have been disastrous. Chicago, like NYC, has tons of first time marthoners. Completing a marathon under ideal circumstances is difficult enough. Throwing in 87 degrees and high humidity is a recipe for disaster.

Edited by Hugh 0ne