[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

LJ

splotchman

Even after he signed, people were letting LJ slip to mid 1st round or later in re-draft leagues for good reason. Blowing 40% of your auction cap on LJ was pretty stupid.

You can't let it go can you?

Just gotta be one of those "hindsight" people that calls people stupid when something doesn't turn out the way it was hoped.

For your info - there's more than just one opinion as to how someone was going to do - especially draft night when not a single game had been played.

I had one and it was that LJ was worth 41% of my allotted cash - knowing I would be able to fill my roster with other players way below value later.

Got a problem with that? Or ya wanna keep calling me stupid? If so, feel free. If that's how ya get yer joliies, then by all means.....

Oh, I have been - I can't let Swerski slide though. Not when he's taking shots at me.

:D

Just gotta be one of those "hindsight" people that calls people stupid when something doesn't turn out the way it was hoped.

But it's not a case of "hindsight." Everybody and their mother knew that KC's offense was going to suck ass this year. They've lost two future-HOF O-linemen and their starting QB. Their only halfway decent WR is a rookie. Do you honestly think that he was going to put up 1,400 yds and double-digit TDs with THAT supporting cast? If not, you overpaid for him.

:D

But it's not a case of "hindsight." Everybody and their mother knew that KC's offense was going to suck ass this year. They've lost two future-HOF O-linemen and their starting QB. Their only halfway decent WR is a rookie. Do you honestly think that he was going to put up 1,400 yds and double-digit TDs with THAT supporting cast? If not, you overpaid for him.

If it apparently was "common knowledge" that LJ was going to suck so bad this year, then how do you explain the Huddle's preseason LJ ranking of #3 overall RB?

Larry Johnson - KCC YEAR TM GMS TYD TTD CAR RYD YPC RTD CAT CYD CTD

Huddle Rank: 3

Keeper: 3

Auction 10: 32%

Auction 12: 28%

2004 KCC 8 859 11 120 581 4.8 9 22 278 2

2005 KCC 16 2093 21 336 1750 5.2 20 33 343 1

2006 KCC 16 2199 19 416 1789 4.3 17 41 410 2

Avg 13 1717 17 291 1373 4.8 15 32 344 2

Proj KCC 1910 17 1600 16 34 310 1

Edited by Hugh-mongus

If it apparently was "common knowledge" that LJ was going to suck so bad this year, then how do you explain the Huddle's preseason LJ ranking of #3 overall RB?

'zactly.

This site as well as most others had him no worse than top 5. Like I said - easy to throw stones after the fact.

And I overpaid (in hindsight) for Frank Gore in my other league. Who would've known that I should have ponied up for a rookie (AP) and in a time share no less (going in) instead? I'm pretty sure Gore was a consensus top 5 as well.

And that Steven Jackson guy? Good thing I stayed out of the bidding for him - not. Just got outbid at the end. I was in it real high there too. But he went for like 45%.

Edited by Cunning Runt

In the same way that they ranked William Green in the Top 10 back in '03. The Huddle's staff is good, but not infallible.

I never said that it was "common knowledge" that LJ was absolutely going to suck this year. But I strongly disagreed with The Huddle ranking him at #3. I figured that 1,200-1,300 yds rushing and 9-12 TDs was much more realistic. That probably would've made him a Top 10 back, but Top 3 was a HUGH stretch, IMO.

And I overpaid (in hindsight) for Frank Gore in my other league. Who would've known that I should have ponied up for a rookie (AP) and in a time share no less (going in) instead? I'm pretty sure Gore was a consensus top 5 as well.

And that Steven Jackson guy? Good thing I stayed out of the bidding for him - not. Just got outbid at the end. I was in it real high there too. But he went for like 45%.

Gore and S-Jax's offenses have been crippled with injuries. LJ's is bad at full-strength.

In the same way that they ranked William Green in the Top 10 back in '03. The Huddle's staff is good, but not infallible.

I never said that it was "common knowledge" that LJ was absolutely going to suck this year. But I strongly disagreed with The Huddle ranking him at #3. I figured that 1,200-1,300 yds rushing and 9-12 TDs was much more realistic. That probably would've made him a Top 10 back, but Top 3 was a HUGH stretch, IMO.

Your responses imply that I made a "moranic" :D move by going big (41%) for him in an auction. Given the vast majority of sentiment as to his worth prior to draft night (not the least of which includes my own), that percentage doesn't seem unreasonable.

And for what it's worth - considering KC is 6 games in, I'd gladly take 1300yds and 12tds.

Your responses imply that I made a "moranic" :D move by going big (41%) for him in an auction.

That's correct.

Given the vast majority of sentiment as to his worth prior to draft night (not the least of which includes my own), that percentage doesn't seem unreasonable.

If you say so.

First, let me start by saying that I am not an LJ owner in any of my leagues. I will admit that I was leery about LJ going into this season because of the aforementioned offensive problems that the chiefs have, but I don't see how we can blame people for taking a chance on him given his history. I do not participate in any auction leagues (I'll probably dabble next season - I've heard good things), and I'm just thankful that I happened to have the #1 pick in one league and the #10 pick in my other, meaning I didn't have to worry about LJ (he would have been a no brainer pick at #10, assuming someone like Addai didn't fall that far). I don't see how we can point fingers at LJ owners, telling them they were dumb to draft him... What do we know about how the NFL season is going to shape up? All we can do is be thankful that we were right in avoiding LJ (if we did). There are a few other guys that I felt were a little risky and worth avoiding this year besides LJ (Torry Holt, Hines Ward to name a couple), but it's just a combination of luck and coaching changes that neither happens to be having the kind of season they've had in the past.

1. Can't let it go, can you?

Pot, meet kettle :D

I was simply pointing out that the warning signs about LJ's supporting cast were there earlier this year: Roaf and Shields both retiring, Trent Green leaving town, Eddie Kennison no longer able to stretch defenses, a rookie being their best WR this year, LJ holding out and possibly not being in shape going into the season, etc. Despite the FF groupthink, I saw a massive amount of risk in LJ and thought that he was going way too high in drafts. You chose to roll the dice and it didn't work out. Fine, but don't complain about it when the warning signs were as clear as daylight going into August.

To be fair, I thought that Alexander was a lock to be a Top 10 back this year. If I were in a redraft league, I probably would've taken him late in the first round... and I would've suffered big-time. But I would've taken that risk based on the fact that he was effective late last season (after the foot injury) with essentially the same supporting offensive cast (they still have a ton of talent at WR, even without D-Jax). In other words, there was no reason to expect SA to fall well below expectations this year. But there were plenty of reasons to expect LJ to not be a Top 5 back.

At the risk of piling on, you can add me to the list of guys who were not fired up about LJ at all and would have told you in August not spend that kind of money on him. I would have been burned on Steven Jax, but would have taken Addai after LT and him. Three guys that I was not going to take unless they fell to me were LJ, Gore, and Alexander. Now, here's the thing, you can say that he's a top 5 pick and still say he's not worth spend a ton of jack on in an auction. Why? because somebody has to go #5 (or 3) but that doesn't mean there's not a huge drop-off before that pick. If you think it's LT and then the rest (and it basically was) and then look at a guy like Jackson who all signs pointed to having another solid year, you could have lumped the rest in a big bag. I liked Addai because of the situation, but you could still be concerned about him given the fact that he hadn't carried the rock full time yet.

What about LJ made you any more excited than the next 7 or so backs? So, if you're drafting and have the 3rd pick, why not. Again, you've got to take somebody. However, in an auction, you don't have to. This is not a bunch of guys using hindsight, this is a bunch of guys saying there's no way they would have spent that kind of jack on LJ because that's how we felt in late August.

Pot, meet kettle :D

I was simply pointing out that the warning signs about LJ's supporting cast were there earlier this year: Roaf and Shields both retiring, Trent Green leaving town, Eddie Kennison no longer able to stretch defenses, a rookie being their best WR this year, LJ holding out and possibly not being in shape going into the season, etc. Despite the FF groupthink, I saw a massive amount of risk in LJ and thought that he was going way too high in drafts. You chose to roll the dice and it didn't work out. Fine, but don't complain about it when the warning signs were as clear as daylight going into August.

To be fair, I thought that Alexander was a lock to be a Top 10 back this year. If I were in a redraft league, I probably would've taken him late in the first round... and I would've suffered big-time. But I would've taken that risk based on the fact that he was effective late last season (after the foot injury) with essentially the same supporting offensive cast (they still have a ton of talent at WR, even without D-Jax). In other words, there was no reason to expect SA to fall well below expectations this year. But there were plenty of reasons to expect LJ to not be a Top 5 back.

Whatever.... I'm done.

Just know that I'm right and you're wrong. About all things. Got it?

Everybody and their mother? I think that is akin to saying it was "common knowledge".

Nice strawman argument, but I never said that it was "common knowledge" that LJ was going to be as unproductive as he has been. I said that KC's offense OVERALL (you know, including their passing game) was going to be bad. That does not necessarily preclude LJ from being a Top 10 back.

What about LJ made you any more excited than the next 7 or so backs? So, if you're drafting and have the 3rd pick, why not. Again, you've got to take somebody. However, in an auction, you don't have to.

Unless you're in a league that doesn't allow the trading of draft picks, one could always trade down in a redraft league. That's exactly what I would've done. With all of the FF sites pimping him as a Top 5 overall pick, you could've gotten good value in return.

Unless you're in a league that doesn't allow the trading of draft picks, one could always trade down in a redraft league. That's exactly what I would've done. With all of the FF sites pimping him as a Top 5 overall pick, you could've gotten good value in return.

Well, as I said above, I would have taken Addai there but I'm operating under the assumption that you were stuck with the pick and were drafting LJ based on reputation (as the guy with the 3rd pick very unenthusiastically did in my league). However, had it not been for Addai, yes, I would have tried to trade down.

Edited by detlef