[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Breeder's Cup this Saturday

HowboutthemCowboys

With 0.8 of an inch of rain having already fallen as of Thursday morning, and a forecast that calls for the possibility of another 1 1/2 inches by Saturday morning, Mother Nature seems intent on having an impact on this year's Breeders' Cup World Championships.

According to the Weather Channel, there was an 80opercent chance of rain on Friday and another 80 percent chance on Saturday, though Saturday's forecast called for thunderstorms as opposed to steadier precipitation.

According to Bob Juliano, Monmouth's director of facilities and track superintendent, 0.2 of an inch of rain fell during the races Wednesday and another 0.6 fell Wednesday night into Thursday morning. There was a chance of some clearing and dry weather Thursday afternoon before the rain - some heavy at times - was expected for Friday, when the first three Breeders' Cup races were to be run. Juliano said one to 1o1/2 inches of rain could fall by Saturday morning.

"Right now it's not favorable," he said.

Thursday's races were run over a muddy main track, and the two races scheduled for the turf were run in the mud. On Wednesday, one race was taken off the turf, but the Rutgers Stakes was run over a good course with the temporary rails set at 24 feet.

Juliano said the course "divoted up a little bit coming into the homestretch, but the rest of the course held up pretty well."

Two turf stakes were scheduled for Friday, but Bob Kulina, Monmouth's president, said the $250,000 Epitome Stakes for juvenile fillies could be moved to the dirt if need be. Kulina was optimistic that the turf course could handle Friday's Juvenile Turf and Saturday's three BC races scheduled for the grass.

"There's definitely four races in the turf course on the rail because we haven't run on [the rail] since Haskell Day," Kulina said. "So, the rail is perfect."

Juliano said that if 1 1/2 inches rain did fall, the course would likely be labeled yielding on Saturday.

drf

Where's our expert analysis?

Ain't touching the Saturday card until I know what the track will be playing like...and I'll look to see how the three that I like today do in their races. The only Saturday race I've spent more than 5 minutes on is the Sprint.

Today, I had circled:

Wild Gams in the 8th

Cherokee Triangle in the 9th

Gottcha Gold in the 10th

This is assuming it gets wet and or sloppy during the day today.

OCEANPORT, N.J. – The persistent wet weather here, coupled with a grim forecast for Saturday morning, has led Monmouth Park to close its main track for training on Saturday morning, the second day of the two-day Breeders' Cup festival, according to Bob Juliano, the track's superintendent and director of facilities.

"We want to keep the track sealed," said Juliano, who left the track sealed for racing on Friday. "We're probably going to get a good inch of rain tomorrow morning, but it's supposed to clear out by 1 p.m. or 2."

Preventing training in the morning is designed to put less wear and tear on the track in advance of the day's racing.

The main track was listed as muddy for racing on Friday. Juliano said the turf would be listed as good for the first turf race Friday.

"But it'll probably be downgraded to yielding after that," he said.

My call from the rail is telling me the track is an absolute mess right now.

For all those handicapping, I am going to assume that since Monmouth is a speed favoring track, you can move up all front runners and anyone that's had offtrack success....not sure what the turf will be like, but anything squishy automatically upgrades any euro.

Lawyer Ron has one win in the mud, but the competition he faced was suspect.

I'll try to provide who I think is a TOSS because of the conditions...may not be able to do that until tomorrow morning.

With that said, my choice of Wild Gams that is on the clock right now will tell me a little bit more about how a horse who likes the offtrack but comes from behind will do.