[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So, I just Geeked out hard.

PantherDave

Sweet. Now do these things continue to gain value over time? Probably a stoopid question, but since this is something that isn't say, a #1, I assume there is some sort of ceiling to the value? Do they gain value as copies leave the market? I'm not a collector of anything and don't relally know how any of this works. (The mags were given to me some years ago...)

No, that one continues to climb and is the #1 Bronze Age Key as of right now. I sent my best copy in to CGC and it came back a NM- 9.2, which guides for $1400.00 right now, and with the Wolverine movie coming it will climb again and then most likely start to see moderate gains thereafter. However, any copy graded NM 9.4 or higher pulls a very nice hefty price tag.

As some know, I collect, sale and broker comic books. I also have an office in which I "work" on this aspect of our income. Well, I went out and got some 8 1/2 x 12 photo paper and a photo quality ink cartridges. I hit Michaels ( a picture/frame/craft store) and got some frames. My office now has my favorite covers adjoining the walls.....Swamp Thing # 9 Bernie Wrightson....Werewolf by Night # 15 Mike Ploog.....Amazing Spider-Man # 129 Gil Kane....Silver Surfer # 4 Buscema....Incredible Hulk # 181 Herb Trimpe.....Green Lantern-Green Arrow # 76 Neil Adams....Conan the Barbarian # 1 Barry Smith. I've got more to do, but it looks killer....well in my eye's anyway. Going to do some very erotic and sexy Vampirella covers over the weekend and some Steve Ditko as well. OK, I'm done Geeking out...for now.

you my friend, have the greatest job evAR!

I truly envy you.

http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/swamp-thing

Bernie stopped at #10.....that mofo can flat out draw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bernie is my favoriote artist, ever. I have this sweet B&W print set he did in the early 80's, Pen and ink illustrations called "Apparitions" I beleive. It's fantastic work.

Sweet. Now do these things continue to gain value over time? Probably a stoopid question, but since this is something that isn't say, a #1, I assume there is some sort of ceiling to the value? Do they gain value as copies leave the market? I'm not a collector of anything and don't relally know how any of this works. (The mags were given to me some years ago...)

#1 issues aren't necessarily valuable because they are the #1 issue. It's the first appearance of the character, for the most part, that garners the most coinage. Ex: X-Men #1 isn't worth nearly as much as X-Men #94 or Giant Size #1.

I fear comic collecting is dying with our genration thoguh. It saddens me, but I think our age group is the last to put a dollar amount the first appearances, deaths, signigant events, etc.

#1 issues aren't necessarily valuable because they are the #1 issue. It's the first appearance of the character, for the most part, that garners the most coinage. Ex: X-Men #1 isn't worth nearly as much as X-Men #94 or Giant Size #1.

I fear comic collecting is dying with our genration thoguh. It saddens me, but I think our age group is the last to put a dollar amount the first appearances, deaths, signigant events, etc.

Well, X-Men #1 is worth substancially more than X-Men # 94 or Giant Size X-Men #1, but #94 and GS # 1 are more affordable, so have a bigger market and sale quicker. As I could move the #94 and the GS #1 before I could move the X-Men #1, and the same holds true for Amazing Spider-Man #129 1st app The Punisher, I could sell 20 before I sold a Spider-Man #1.

Here are some current gude prices for the above mentioned X-Men issues

X-Men #1 Silver Age Sept 1963 VF/8.0 $6300 NM-/9.2 $16,500

Giant Size X-Men #1 Bronze Age Summer 1975 1st app new team VF/8.0 $476 NM-/9.2 $1175

X-Men #94 Bronze Age August 1975 1st app of new team in X-Men run VF/8.0 $480 NM-/9.2 $1080

The hobby is actually very strong and the movies are bringing in new collectors every year, as the Silver Screen has really helped the growth and sales of the hobby/industry. The Bronze Age is very hot right now because the key's and # 1's are still somewhat affordable compared to their Silver Age counter-parts. There are still many collections out there that have not surfaced.....mine for instance, as I sell my inventory....not my collection(yet). I'm in the midst of attaining the entire Marvel Horror Bronze Age collection ( Werewolf by Night, Tomb of Dracula, Ghost Rider, Man-Thing, Monster of Frankenstein, Super Natural Thrillers) the complete Conan the Barbarian 1-275 plus the Giant Size issues( well each run has the Giant Size issues with it and the Werewolf by Night and Ghost Rider have the Marvel Spotlight issues as well and the Man-Thing has the Adventures into Fear with it), the entire Giant Size run including X-Men #1. This however, is just what he's selling off....massive collection, also the part I'm buying is High Grade and Pedigree. I think the hobby/industry is safe for 1 or 2 more generations.

Edited by PantherDave