[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The 60" Hitachi is dead!

theprofessor

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent about 2 hours at Circuit City and Best Buy today and here's my Top 3 selections:

1. Panasonic 50' 1080p

This TV is on sale? and they will give me an additional 10% off = $2,380.00 (Blu-ray $499)

I love the Memory Card feature on this TV where yo can insert your card from the digital camera and view your family pictures as a slideshow on

the TV when your entertaining etc. - Panasonic is proven and is the #1 brand on most reviews I've read. Picture looks great.

2. Pioneer 50" 1080p plasma - Regular price $3,499 - on sale for $2,799 - is this that good of a price?

The Best Buy salesman talked about this TV more than any other brand. I personally felt this TV had the best picture of my Top 3 but it is very, very close between all 3. The BB guy said that Pioneer is the "new leader" in the Plasma world and the "guts" of the TV are superior to any other brand?

3. Samsung 46" 1080p LCD HDTV $1,999

I thought this TV also had a great picture. Where would you rank this brand. From the little research I've done it's Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony, Samsung. Is #4 worth spending $400-$1,000 less (and giving up the 4"? I know my wife wouldn't want to give up 4 inches :D

I think I'm also going to purchase a Blu-Ray player.

Keggerz, I also priced the HDMI cables and they ranged from $89.00 - $179.00 depending on the length. The guy at Circuit City said that I would need at least 2 and maybe 3? WTH? The link at monoprice.com showed HDMI cables for $7.49 - $12.49. I'm assuming the link wasn't the same cables that I need?

What do you guys think? I know my buddy from Arizona bought a Pioneer Plasma so I'm interested to know what he paid and how he likes their product.

Personally, I think that for Plasmas, you have to go with only two brands: Pioneer Elite and Panasonic. I think that either could be good choices here. With regard to LCDs, I personally rank them: Sony, Sharp and Samsung. I ended up buying the Sharp 1080P LCD after speaking with a friend that's in the high end install business - he said that unless you go with the VERY high end Samsung's, those that compare in price with the Sharp's are of equal or lesser quality for more $$.

All said, If money was no option, I'd go with a Pioneer Elite Plasma, then the highest end Samsung LCD (you probably won't find this in a store like Best Buy or Circuit City, you'd have to order it online), Sony Bravia LCD, Panasonic Plasma, Sharp Aquos and finally Samsung retail level LCD.

Go with all of the others suggestions regarding the cables, but don't buy them in Best Buy or Circuit City - they're typically much cheaper online.

My last suggestion would be to consider delivery charges, tax, cables, warranty, etc.....it can add $500-700 on top of the TV cost before you even leave the store.

Best of luck, but seriously, do some research online after you see the models in the store....note the model #'s in the store too - they may not be the same ones you're comparing online making you think you're getting a deal when you're really not!

Edited by joeyb7

no...the ones at monprice are the same ones....buy the gold plated ones

the difference is the ones at CC and at the other stores are name brand like "monster cable" and you are paying about 50 bucks for the name..

that's all...but gold plated cables are necessary here...

I own all my HDMI cables from monoprice.com :D

the one i linked to is gold plated but only 6', if you need longer and cant find it on the site let me know and i can link it for you...also the guys at monoprice are very quick to answer emails about products that you want but cant find on their site

I spent about 2 hours at Circuit City and Best Buy today and here's my Top 3 selections:

1. Panasonic 50' 1080p

This TV is on sale? and they will give me an additional 10% off = $2,380.00 (Blu-ray $499)

I love the Memory Card feature on this TV where yo can insert your card from the digital camera and view your family pictures as a slideshow on

the TV when your entertaining etc. - Panasonic is proven and is the #1 brand on most reviews I've read. Picture looks great.

2. Pioneer 50" 1080p plasma - Regular price $3,499 - on sale for $2,799 - is this that good of a price?

The Best Buy salesman talked about this TV more than any other brand. I personally felt this TV had the best picture of my Top 3 but it is very, very close between all 3. The BB guy said that Pioneer is the "new leader" in the Plasma world and the "guts" of the TV are superior to any other brand?

3. Samsung 46" 1080p LCD HDTV $1,999

I thought this TV also had a great picture. Where would you rank this brand. From the little research I've done it's Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony, Samsung. Is #4 worth spending $400-$1,000 less (and giving up the 4"? I know my wife wouldn't want to give up 4 inches :D

I think I'm also going to purchase a Blu-Ray player.

Keggerz, I also priced the HDMI cables and they ranged from $89.00 - $179.00 depending on the length. The guy at Circuit City said that I would need at least 2 and maybe 3? WTH? The link at monoprice.com showed HDMI cables for $7.49 - $12.49. I'm assuming the link wasn't the same cables that I need?

What do you guys think? I know my buddy from Arizona bought a Pioneer Plasma so I'm interested to know what he paid and how he likes their product.

hands down the Pioneer - I think the price is very similar on Amazon- I have the '42 and it is the best IMO

the HDMI cables are the same- one of the biggest scams are monster cable HDMI cables- the cheap ones work just as well-

DO NOT let the salesman talk you into the expensive HDMI cables.

hands down the Pioneer - I think the price is very similar on Amazon- I have the '42 and it is the best IMO

the HDMI cables are the same- one of the biggest scams are monster cable HDMI cables- the cheap ones work just as well-

DO NOT let the salesman talk you into the expensive HDMI cables.

Thanks Wildcat. So you think the Pioneer is worth the extra $$? Do you know what the difference is between the Pioneer and the Pioneer Elite?

Thanks for the info on the cables. Retail was telling me that I would have to spend an extra $200-$300 on cables :D

Edited by theprofessor

OK Guys-

Now I'm contemplating buying my flat screen online vs. retail. I'm hesitant to do this because if something fails it's much easier to handle it with a retail store (come to the house, bring it in, etc.) What are your guys thoughts? Have any of you done this online and if so what site would you recommend?

Am I going to save a lot of money going online? Is it worth the other drawbacks?

have you seen the cover of todays Best Buy circular?...

46" 1080p Sony HDTV with a PS3 is 1999.98

you don't have to play games to take advantage of a PS3 as you can store music, pictures and movies on there while having it hooked up to your surround system and HDTV....plus browse the internet...

the main thing here is the PS3 includes a Blu-ray player that you can upgrade via firmware updates....

if you were looking for a deal....and are willing to spend over 2 G's after taxes, this isn't a bad deal at all...

Edited by Avernus

Thanks Wildcat. So you think the Pioneer is worth the extra $$? Do you know what the difference is between the Pioneer and the Pioneer Elite?

Thanks for the info on the cables. Retail was telling me that I would have to spend an extra $200-$300 on cables :D

The Elite's are top notch, but more than I was willing to spend - a regular Pioneer is more than I need, personally.

OK Guys-

Now I'm contemplating buying my flat screen online vs. retail. I'm hesitant to do this because if something fails it's much easier to handle it with a retail store (come to the house, bring it in, etc.) What are your guys thoughts? Have any of you done this online and if so what site would you recommend?

Am I going to save a lot of money going online? Is it worth the other drawbacks?

I bought mine from Amazon- so far so good. You get the same manufacturer's warranty- and since you are in Seattle I think that would be a good way to go if you do choose online. From what I have read Amazon has pretty good service.....

Looks like alot of good buys next Fri- so check around. Avernus know his chit- that Sony is certainly a sick tv-

One of the big draws to a Pioneer to me also was how they look- all black- nice clean finish.

Certainly can't go wrong with the top brands

I bought mine from Amazon- so far so good. You get the same manufacturer's warranty- and since you are in Seattle I think that would be a good way to go if you do choose online. From what I have read Amazon has pretty good service.....

Looks like alot of good buys next Fri- so check around. Avernus know his chit- that Sony is certainly a sick tv-

One of the big draws to a Pioneer to me also was how they look- all black- nice clean finish.

Certainly can't go wrong with the top brands

yeah...if you plan on spending a decent dollar...Pioneer Elite is where it's at...

I was proposing a "deal"....but if you are going top of the line....then Pioneer Elite is the way to go....period...

have you seen the cover of todays Best Buy circular?...

46" 1080p Sony HDTV with a PS3 is 1999.98

you don't have to play games to take advantage of a PS3 as you can store music, pictures and movies on there while having it hooked up to your surround system and HDTV....plus browse the internet...

the main thing here is the PS3 includes a Blu-ray player that you can upgrade via firmware updates....

if you were looking for a deal....and are willing to spend over 2 G's after taxes, this isn't a bad deal at all...

This Sony is a LCD, right? Is this PS3 BR as good as the Sony Blu-Ray's that I've been looking at?

This Sony is a LCD, right? Is this PS3 BR as good as the Sony Blu-Ray's that I've been looking at?

Sony actually only makes LCDs. I've been told that the Blu Ray on the PS3 isn't as good of quality as other top notch players, but you're getting a lot for the dollar....a Blu Ray player, gaming system, hard drive, etc.

Edited by joeyb7

I own it and it's just as good ...It's not like the DVD player on the PS2...

the PS3 BD player is just as good as the others and you can get firmware upgrades so it won't get outdated...

Just bought a Panasonic 42", 720p plasma. So far, very pleased. Does a great job on the SD channels, and the HD is awesome. I was initially leaning LCD, but after researching and comparing pictures the plasma won me over. IMO, burn in is greatly exaggerated on plasmas. You would have to really work at it for it to occur.

The remote is pretty good, and the menu is great. Really straight forward and intuitive. Good luck with you decision.