[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

mortgage aid plan

dmarc117

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reported today that there are more homeowners at least 30 days late than any time since '86 . . . and we are just getting started! :D

I wonder what percentage of homeowners that is? Is it 1%, 10%....? The fact that there are more than at any time since '86 could simply be a function of there being more homeowners now than then. Not trying to belittle the scale of the problem, far from it, just pointing out that there are lies, damned lies and statistics.

I wonder what percentage of homeowners that is? Is it 1%, 10%....? The fact that there are more than at any time since '86 could simply be a function of there being more homeowners now than then. Not trying to belittle the scale of the problem, far from it, just pointing out that there are lies, damned lies and statistics.

The report also showed that 5.59 percent of borrowers are now at least 30 days late making their mortgage payments, which is just below the record high of 5.68 percent set in 1986. And a record 1.26 percent of the borrowers were 90-plus days late, putting them at significant risk of going into foreclosure.

:D

we talk about this all day at work. if you let these people die, the housing market really hits the skids. if you help them, does it raise a moral hazard that uncle sam will bail you out when you over extend yourself?

I don't think so...it just locks the rate from going up...it doesn't mean the government pays the difference...that is my reading. It actually makes a nasty little record on your credit score as well if you accept such help. The bank loses out on the interest, but wins on mortgage retention. Also, as you correctly pointed out, the housing market stays relatively intact versus tons of foreclosures. And people get to keep the equity built up in their homes instead of losing it to higher ARM adjustments. It actually sucks the legislation is needed in the first place. If the financial institutions would have done a better job issuing loans...we wouldn't be here.

The article isn't clear if it locks in the teaser rate (I've seen teaser rates that last for, oh, two days) or if it will correct ARMs that have increased into negative amortization loans, or any of the other possible permutations of an ARM mortgage.

As far as "ARMs won't increase" it SOUNDS good but there's certainly a tremendous amount of subtlety that may be missed in the Big Dumb Solution.

Actually, I think it corrects the ARMS that create Negative Amortization and also contain early pay back penalties to get out of such situations.

The report also showed that 5.59 percent of borrowers are now at least 30 days late making their mortgage payments, which is just below the record high of 5.68 percent set in 1986. And a record 1.26 percent of the borrowers were 90-plus days late, putting them at significant risk of going into foreclosure.

:D

Bad but OTOH 94.41% are making the payments. You wonder how a downturn in employment would exacerbate the figures though.