[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big 3 way trade! Unit, ARod, Jeter, et al

yellowdog

Here is the situation: 12 teams/4 keepers each/non auction draft/points league We will be increasing our keepers to 7 for next year.

I have ARod, IRod, and Abreu. I had Nomar, but traded him for draft picks.

The 3 way deal on the table: I would send ARod, and 2 first round draft picks(8th and 10th overall). (I would still have a 2nd and two 3rd round picks).

I would get in return: Jeter, Unit, and Bagwell

It certainly feels like a no-brainer, and if it were not a keeper league, it would be. But giving up ARod will be very painful. Someone please advise.

If I were you I would do this deal, but it will hurt in the coming years for you. Jeter is great and I am sure he will come back strong, but you lose 30 HR and at least 30 RBI, at the SS spot. Bagwell is 33 and doesn't run like he used to. How good will he be in his mid 30's. As for Johnson, he is dominate, but the little injuries are there and, I believe it will turn in to a big problem for the 38 year old.

To summarize: he is giving you a great deal to off load 2 older players, for the best player in all fantasy baseball.

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: dirtdave ]

Frankly, it boils down to wanting to think long term or go for it now. If this is a money league, you have to give this serious consideration and dam the long term consequences. If it's a long term pride league and you're going to 7 keepers next season, you want to think more carefully on this.

Bagwell and Unit don't have long term futures due to their age. Jeter is an excellent SS with a lot of years, but A-Rod is a step or two above him. In 2-3 years, you'll be looking at a retired or broken down Unit and Bagwell and a thin draft to patch the holes...

torn bicep has the right idea. Teh real question is what would you get with teh #8 & 10th pick? If you can get a younger and a little less player at P and 1B I would probably pass on this trade. What does Randy have left max 2yrs as well as Bags. I don't know what is left in the draft but this is some serious consideration that you must think of.