[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone else just getting tired of the challenge system?

budlitebrad

I think limiting the number of reviews even more may do more harm than good. I have never understood where the nfl came up with this number of 2 reviews per half, other than to try and make sure the games don't go too long by allowing the coaches unlimited challenges. But if any plays can be reviewed at all why not be able to challenge which ever plays you want to? Why should you not be able to make a challenge simply because you already challenged twice?

BUT ... What they need to do is take the challenge out of the hands of the coaches altogether and make all plays reviewable.

Then allow the replay official upstairs to initiate the replay process. After virtually every play they are looking at the monitor anyway, if they see it should be overturned they could signal the guys on the field and tell them over the phone.

The last step would be the 90 second rule, let's enforce it. If you can't decide after 90 seconds then don't change the call.

Wouldn't this drag out games even longer? And if every single play was reviewable, wouldn't the officialsbe less concerned with getting the on-field call accurate, knowing that they can get bailed out?

I'm in favor of "getting the call right", but I'm willing to sacrifice that some calls might be inaccurate if the flow of the game isn't dramatically altered. The current system ensures that coaches can have critical plays reviewed on instant replay. I say let the coaches initiate a challenge to avoid a turnover or confirm posession of a catch for a key first down. But don't go review happy for the sake of getting every single call right - it would kill any rhythm the game might have.