[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone else just getting tired of the challenge system?

budlitebrad

After watching the games today, it just seems like reviews and challenges do more damage than good.

Besides the fact that it kills the game when we have to stare at a replay playing over and over 10 times, most of the time the refs aren't even consistent with their enforcement of the rules.

I know everything with Cleveland has been argued to death, so I won't mention it, but during the NYG game, though, the refs took away a TD from the Giants when Lovie Smith threw the red flag. It was obvious that the flag didn't even hit the ground until after the ball was snapped and there shouldn't have been a review.

Everyone wants to get the call right, but I think it requires a more disciplined system where everyone knows what the heck is going on. The refs are looking like a bunch idiots out there half the time, especially this season. :D

After watching the games today, it just seems like reviews and challenges do more damage than good.

Besides the fact that it kills the game when we have to stare at a replay playing over and over 10 times, most of the time the refs aren't even consistent with their enforcement of the rules.

I know everything with Cleveland has been argued to death, so I won't mention it, but during the NYG game, though, the refs took away a TD from the Giants when Lovie Smith threw the red flag. It was obvious that the flag didn't even hit the ground until after the ball was snapped and there shouldn't have been a review.

Everyone wants to get the call right, but I think it requires a more disciplined system where everyone knows what the heck is going on. The refs are looking like a bunch idiots out there half the time, especially this season. :D

Equally, they gave the Giants a TD that had been ruled incomplete when there was no irrefutable evidence to do so, killing the Bears season. I'm not one to knock officials but this whole challenge thing is getting stupid.

it kills the joy of big plays. every time someone makes a diving catch or something similar, you have to wait for the replay before you can actually celebrate the catch and feel relieved. some people like it that the refs calls are part of the game, others want the call correct every time, no matter how many challenges are incorrect.

You disagree that at least half the time when a review is done that at least half the people here disagree on whether or not the right call was made?

I probably agree with the replay decision by the refs 80-90%+, but I'm usually right and have a good understanding of the game and the rules.

Until the NFL deigns to assign refs as fulltime employees, challenges are going to be required. The refs just miss to many calls - some of them fairly easy to get right even at full speed. These guys need to be training constantly, but instead are regular 40 hr/week Joes from Monday through Saturday.

i like the replay but i'd like to see some improvement with the red flag process. relying on a head coach to toss a flag out on the field and for that flag to be seen to kick in a replay is a bit goofy. i don't know how they determine the plays that will be reviewed in the last 2 minutes, but it seems like they generally pick the right ones.

if the goal is to get it right, why not just kick in the last 2 minute process for the entire game? take it out of the coaches hands, stop taking away timeouts, quit forcing teams to have to decide when they should challenge ... it's nuts that a coach could be out of challenges and then an official gaffe costs him big time.

if the officials don't feel the call is clear cut, then they should send it up to the booth to get it right. i'd like to see this put in place to see how it would fare vs. the current process.

Until the NFL deigns to assign refs as fulltime employees, challenges are going to be required. The refs just miss to many calls - some of them fairly easy to get right even at full speed. These guys need to be training constantly, but instead are regular 40 hr/week Joes from Monday through Saturday.

I agree the refs should be full time employees and treat the game much as the coaches. Review calls during the week and prepare accordingly. Too much rides on one or two missed calls.

it kills the joy of big plays. every time someone makes a diving catch or something similar, you have to wait for the replay before you can actually celebrate the catch and feel relieved. some people like it that the refs calls are part of the game, others want the call correct every time, no matter how many challenges are incorrect.

I concur. When I'm following the box scores online and one of my players scores, I don't celebrate until I see that point after. But then again, it's all about me. Seriously the Giant's TD with Droughns was a travesty. Who was that last season that threw the red flag, refs didn't see it and the play was run. They sure the hell didn't go back after the fact and honor his red flag and he actually had it on the field well before the play started.

I am sick of the delay, too.

:D They should be able to challenge the challenge. A replay to determine if the challenge was executed in time. That's where we're headed, more rules in the game with the most already.

Who was that last season that threw the red flag, refs didn't see it and the play was run. They sure the hell didn't go back after the fact and honor his red flag and he actually had it on the field well before the play started.

Nick Saban.

There was a call in the Vikings/Lions game where Chilly challenged an incomplete pass (Kitna was hit the ball was losse and the Vikings recovered) the call was reversed so the officals ruled it a fumble but Detroit retained possesson s the whistle had blown before the Vikings recovered. :D That is just one example why the curretn system is such a joke.

The Steelers game had two reviews in a row on FWP fumbles that took about 6 minutes each.

The Steelers game had two reviews in a row on FWP fumbles that took about 6 minutes each.

This was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the thread title. I turned the game off after the second FWP fumble review started. My biggest problem with replay is that the officials don't seem quite as concerned about getting calls right on the field, particularly within the last two minutes of either half. The officials' willingness to put calls in the hands of upstairs reviewers is frustrating. I actually think the system would work more smoothly and games would finish more quickly if they ditched the two minute warning rule and just let the coaches initiate all reviews.

I think replays should not be done on the field by the refs.

It seems the whole thing would go a lot faster if the video crew in the booth made the call. The crew would quickly review the play and give a decision to the head ref on the field to communicate the call.

There's already a crew that puts together the best views. Why waste everyone's time by transmitting the video down to the booths, the ref stop the game, hookup to a special headset, go to a booth, review the video, discuss the outcome, then make a ruling. Just cut out the middle man, let an official crew do the review in the booth, and communicate the ruling to the field.

Limit it to one review a game.

I think limiting the number of reviews even more may do more harm than good. I have never understood where the nfl came up with this number of 2 reviews per half, other than to try and make sure the games don't go too long by allowing the coaches unlimited challenges. But if any plays can be reviewed at all why not be able to challenge which ever plays you want to? Why should you not be able to make a challenge simply because you already challenged twice?

BUT ... What they need to do is take the challenge out of the hands of the coaches altogether and make all plays reviewable.

Then allow the replay official upstairs to initiate the replay process. After virtually every play they are looking at the monitor anyway, if they see it should be overturned they could signal the guys on the field and tell them over the phone.

The last step would be the 90 second rule, let's enforce it. If you can't decide after 90 seconds then don't change the call.