[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HR Guys

msaint

Once again I'm in a HR-only side league and am looking to repeat as champ. Sosa seems like a no-brainer #1 overall, but who else do you like in the top 10 or 20?

Also, any sleepers a la Pujols who could come out of nowhere and hit 30+?

Not able to rank top 10 - 20 for HR only just yet.

I watched the ESPN Reds report this morning and Adam Dunn should be a sleeper to most. He had 19 HRs last year after being called up in July. This guy just looks like a power hitter.

Here is his player profile from ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/prof...le?statsId=6763

Guest FlyPattern

Adam Dunn is not a sleeper anymore. Everyone knows him.

I'm in a HR Pool and here is my top 10:

Bonds, Sosa, Helton, Giambi, ARod, Glaus, LGonz, M. Ramirez, Juan Gone and Sheffield.

SLEEPERS:

Maybe Aramis Ramirez? Hidden in Pittsburgh. I see Tony Clark really surprising people. Many are down on him. Ever hear of Jay Gibbons? He will lead Baltimore in HRs. Check his numbers out. Jeff Liefer, too. He is a Chisocker.

And now my SOOOOOOOOOOPER SLEEPER:

Colorado's 2B Jose Ortiz!!

Originally posted by FlyPattern:

Adam Dunn is not a sleeper anymore. Everyone knows him.

I'm in a HR Pool and here is my top 10:

Bonds, Sosa, Helton, Giambi, ARod, Glaus, LGonz, M. Ramirez, Juan Gone and Sheffield.

SLEEPERS:

Maybe Aramis Ramirez? Hidden in Pittsburgh. I see Tony Clark really surprising people. Many are down on him. Ever hear of Jay Gibbons? He will lead Baltimore in HRs. Check his numbers out. Jeff Liefer, too. He is a Chisocker.

And now my SOOOOOOOOOOPER SLEEPER:

Colorado's 2B Jose Ortiz!!

I agree with you on Aramis Ramirez and Tony Clark. I drafted Ramirez as my starting 3rd baseman, and am expected around 40 HR this year. Maybe a little optimistic, but...

Hate to have to tell you this, but Ortiz is no sleeper. I've seen him as high as 7th among 2B in some rankings (5x5), and that's about where I have him as well. I think he'll do 25-30 HR this year, which is easy top 5 in a HR-only league.

Thanks all. Agreed, Dunn is no sleeper. We draft 13 guys and I see him going in the 3rd-4th-5th round. All projections I've seen have him at 35-40 HRs. Easily a 3rd-4th rounder with the likes of Piazza, Burnitz, Giles, etc, though those guys have proven themselves more. obviously. I drafted Aramis 13th last year and got the last-round steal of the draft. Gibbons and Liefer are good ones that many people won't be that hot on/know about. Liefer's only trouble will be ABs but I think Manuel will find him playing time. Other thoughts: I think Tony Batista has a good comeback HR year, 35ish. Shawn Green might drop off w/o Sheffield in there (that LA lineup is pretty ugly without Sheff). Everyone seems high on a Hidalgo comeback. Ditto for Salmon. Daryl Ward with a full season of ABs in ex-Enron field could be scary, he could do what Hidalgo did 2 years ago. Also, watch out for Sexson with a full season in Milwaukee's new launching pad....he could seriously hit 45-50 dingers.

What do you guys think about the following players:

Jr. Griffey: 50 HRs or more like 40?

L.Walker: another injury-free year?

Boone: last year a fluke?

Big Hurt: 40 a possibility?

JD Drew: if healthy, 40 HRs?

Right now my Top 10 would be: Sosa, Bonds, ARod, Helton, Giambi, LGonz, Glaus, Manny, Raffy, Vladdy (Other close ones: Sheffield, Green, Bagwell, Juan Gone, Thome)

[ 03-13-2002: Message edited by: msaint ]

Guest FlyPattern

John Hunt has his projections out. See them on the other side of the link...

Baseball Projections

I think Griffey will come back bigger than Thomas, although Thomas returns to a White Sox club which will really be good. May change his attitude for the better. I would not have worries if Walker fell to me and Boone will not replicate last year but he won't fall off the edge either with his new contract.

As to Hunt's projected homers. He has Dunn at 43?!? And Pat Burrell at 40? Cripes!

Good link flypattern, but yeah, some of Hunt's projections seem to be kind of whacked. The ones who seem low to me are Aurilia and JD Drew at 23, and Raffy at 34. JD was on his way to 40+ before he got hurt. Why wouldn't Aurilia hit 30+ again? And Raffy is ALWAYS around 40, and Texas' lineup is even better this year. I do like Dunn to hit 35, but not 43. And Burrell needs to stop K'ing if he's going to hit 40.

Guest Azazello13

if you're looking for pretty deep HR sleepers, the two kids in the rockies middle infield (uribe & ortiz) both have some good pop, and of course both hit in coors field. i wouldn't be at all surprised to see 50 HRs or more between them.

Just drafted Adam Dunn today, in the 10th round of a 10-team 5x5 league (21 rounds total). I'm pretty happy with that pick. He hit 19 HR in just 66 games. That would seem to indicate that 40 would be pretty easily attainable. I'm hoping that's the case. tongue.gif

Also picked up Jose Ortiz in the 13th round. Maybe too early for him, but I didn't want to miss him.

[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: Sushi ]

Guest FlyPattern

I must be losing it. I now have Dunn upgraded as my #14 HR guy. Wow! I also upgraded Griffey to #7.

How do you guys think Branyan will fare this year. If this guy gets the ABs then look out. Maybe 30-35 HRs. And how about the bounce-backability of Ben Grieve?

I think Branyan should get more ABs with Cordero outta there, plus Cleveland is scared sh*tless of losing/trading/giving up on another slugger and watching him go somewhere else and turn into a Giles/Burnitz/Sexson so they'll give him the ABs to see what he can do, despite all the K's. I think Branyan hits 35-40 easily this year. As for Grieve, man was his swing a mess last year. He showed some signs of snapping out of towards the end, but I personally see 20-25 HRs tops from him. Depends whether Vaughn stays healthy all year, too..not much protection in that lineup. Although speaking of Tampa, look out for a surprising HR year from Toby Hall. Unlike last year he'll be the starter from day one and apparently had some serious power in the minors. What does everyone think of MOrgan Ensberg? With Truby gone could he be a good late-round pick, esp. in that Little League field they play in?