[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Huckabee takes Iowa

budlitebrad

i think the pols (and polls) are possibly missing something with Huckabee's victory. I don't think all of his support is simply rooted in the evangelicals (although that is much of it). To me, besides rejecting the Republican Old Boys network, he's a genuinely likable guy with a quick wit and sincerity that reminds me a little of Reagan (only funnier). While I don't agree with him and would never vote for him, I was impressed earlier with his willingness to go onto hostile TV shows like Bill Maher and the Daily Show and not only stand up for what he believes, as absurd as it may be to that crowd, but still make a hostile crowd laugh. There's a certain personal integrity there I respect.

I agree also with McCain loving the outcome in Iowa (as every pol is saying today). And Huckabee probably doesn't have a chance, but methinks it's too early to rule him out. I think he has appeal for other reasons, namely his personality, his ability to communicate, and his disassociation from the folks who brought you George Bush and son.

I'm honeslty saying as a lib who can't stand the thought of having a president who does not believe in evolution ... I find Mike a very likeable guy. All that propaganda that Fox News and the Republicans tried to paint Dubya as having in terms of likeability and being a "regular guy" ... Huckabee really has it. I'd have a Near Beer with the guy and enjoy it a great deal.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the pols (and polls) are possibly missing something with Huckabee's victory. I don't think all of his support is simply rooted in the evangelicals (although that is much of it). To me, besides rejecting the Republican Old Boys network, he's a genuinely likable guy with a quick wit and sincerity that reminds me a little of Reagan (only funnier). While I don't agree with him and would never vote for him, I was impressed earlier with his willingness to go onto hostile TV shows like Bill Maher and the Daily Show and not only stand up for what he believes, as absurd as it may be to that crowd, but still make a hostile crowd laugh. There's a certain personal integrity there I respect.

I agree also with McCain loving the outcome in Iowa (as every pol is saying today). And Huckabee probably doesn't have a chance, but methinks it's too early to rule him out. I think he has appeal for other reasons, namely his personality, his ability to communicate, and his disassociation from the folks who brought you George Bush and son.

I'm honeslty saying as a lib who can't stand the thought of having a president who does not believe in evolution ... I find Mike a very likeable guy. All that propaganda that Fox News and the Republicans tried to paint Dubya as having in terms of likeability and being a "regular guy" ... Huckabee really has it. I'd have a Near Beer with the guy and enjoy it a great deal.

I agree - the guy is a great speaker and makes me laugh not at what he is saying, but along with the joke itself. His deliveries are incredible and yes, it is oversimplifying to say he won with the 'church crowd.'

Wow, Huckabee wins Iowa and the anti-religion attack dogs are out. Who would've guessed? :D

I agree that expectations need to be tempered somewhat with Huckabee. I don't expect him to do very well on the coasts or in more moderate/swing states like Ohio, Michigan, or Illinois. And while McCain may be ahead in NH right now, his support outside of the coasts is probably going to be limited. He's pissed off the conservative base of his party too many times. Romney probably has the best chance of appealing to both Christian- and non-Christian conservatives, but he's going to have to have a very strong showing in NH and a few other non-Evangelical states. Rudy's dissing of the Midwest was an incredibly poor strategy and I don't see him gaining enough momentum on the coasts to make up for it. IMO, it's essentially between Huckabee and Romney right now. Both of these guys come off as very charismatic and intelligent in the debates and that will further push them ahead of the pack.

As for the Dems, Obama is now clearly the Alternative To Hillary. That leaves Edwards dead in the water. Obama's convincing victory in an almost all-white state (and on a very liberal platform to boot) is a borderline-landmark event. It's really nice to see that America has indeed come that far. And of course, that leaves Hillary licking her wounds in third place. I expect that she'll do better in the less rural states, but her campaign has to be in full panic mode right now.

It's going to be an interesting race...

Wow, Huckabee wins Iowa and the anti-religion attack dogs are out. Who would've guessed? :D

Really? Where?

I see a couple of posts wishing he wouldn't run on his overtly religious message.

I see a few posts talking about the founding of the country seperated church and state and reflections on how europe is struggling with just that currently.

I don't see an 'anti-religion' post in this thread. I see people who feel it should be kept private and out of the public sphere.

In other words: I call BS on this pansy ass statement.

Really? Where?

How about the post about him supposedly not believing in evolution? What in the hell do his personal beliefs have to do with his ability to serve as Preisdent?

I'm sorry that some of you guys feel so threatened by somebody who goes to church on Sunday and uses his faith to connect with a very large base of like-minded voters. Nobody is forcing you to vote for him.

Edited by Bill Swerski

How about the post about him supposedly not believing in evolution? What in the hell do his personal beliefs have to do with his ability to serve as Preisdent?

So you're the guy who always makes fun of squishy liberal types getting panties wadded over the smallest thing, and that's the best you have? That's the 'attack dogs?' One sentence by misfit? No offense misfit, but that's not an attack dog. That's a chihuahua.

Pot, meet kettle.

edited to add: with all of the 'intelligent design' debate I would offer that anyone who has children in public schools would take the evolutionary beliefs of an Admin that handles the Dept of Education as something quite and very relevant.

Edited by Pope Flick

So you're the guy who always makes fun of squishy liberal types getting panties wadded over the smallest thing, and that's the best you have? That's the 'attack dogs?' One sentence by misfit? No offense misfit, but that's not an attack dog. That's a chihuahua.

Pot, meet kettle.

:D

Apparently you missed the first post of the thread, where Randall inferred that Huckabee's religious beliefs disqualified him from serving as Preisdent. :D

And for the record, I'm a Romney supporter at the moment.

Edited by Bill Swerski

edited to add: with all of the 'intelligent design' debate I would offer that anyone who has children in public schools would take the evolutionary beliefs of an Admin that handles the Dept of Education as something quite and very relevant.

Please link me to the quote where Huckabee said that he would impose Intelligent Design in all public school Biology courses. :D

Seriously, the government can't even get rid of Affirmative Action (aka "legalized discrimination") in state universities. What in the hell are you so worried about?

Apparently you missed the first post of the thread, where Randall inferred that Huckabee's religious beliefs disqualified him from serving as Preisdent. :D

This is Randall's first post.

He's pretty clueless on current affairs. He ought to read a newspaper once in a while.

Obama won too.

I have no idea what you're referring to and neither do you.

As an aside, what's your feeling on this footage in regards to Romney today?

Please link me to the quote where Huckabee said that he would impose Intelligent Design in all public school Biology courses. :D

You're really overusing that gremlin. I never said that, but to not take it into consideration in regards to your children's education would be an oversight. You don't agree, fine. But taking that into consideration is in noway at all a release of the "religious attack dogs."

This is Randall's first post.

Sorry, I meant the first post of the thread.

I have no idea what you're referring to and neither do you.

Wow, aren't we a bit defensive today? Thanks for proving my point.

As an aside, what's your feeling on this footage in regards to Romney today?

That's old news. Romney had to flip-flop to become the governor of a liberal state. I agree that sticking to his principles isn't his best quality, but I think that he's the most pragmatic and intelligent of the bunch. And of course, my opinion is subject to change.

I'm sorry that some of you guys feel so threatened by somebody who goes to church on Sunday and uses his faith to connect with a very large base of like-minded voters. Nobody is forcing you to vote for him.

I can appreciate him having faith, but I just can't stand his ignorance towards science.

You're really overusing that gremlin. I never said that, but to not take it into consideration in regards to your children's education would be an oversight. You don't agree, fine. But taking that into consideration is in noway at all a release of the "religious attack dogs."

If The University of Michigan has thumbed their nose at a court decision that found their Affirmative Action program unconstitutional, I think it's safe to say that the liberals that run our public education system aren't going to teach Intelligent Design in biology courses, even if Huckabee wanted them to. I thought this was obvious, but I guess not.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I can appreciate him having faith, but I just can't stand his ignorance towards science.

I can respect that opinion. I'm honestly not sure if he really believes that or is just saying it to garner the support of a large voting bloc.

I think that Huckabee's Baptist beliefs would have about as much impact on our schools as Romney's Mormon beliefs: zero.

I was referring to him being clueless a few weeks back about the NIE which he would have known about had he read a newspaper, but there have been other times he didn't know about current events.

I like him personally, but if he's going to serve needs to inform himself on what's going on in his own country.

I was referring to him being clueless a few weeks back about the NIE which he would have known about had he read a newspaper, but there have been other times he didn't know about current events.

Sorry, I meant to cite another poster.

I like him personally, but if he's going to serve needs to inform himself on what's going on in his own country.

I agree.

I can respect that opinion. I'm honestly not sure if he really believes that or is just saying it to garner the support of a large voting bloc.

I think that Huckabee's Baptist beliefs would have about as much impact on our schools as Romney's Mormon beliefs: zero.

He's a politician so it's obviously hard to get a read on him. This one quote is what nags me:

"Oh, I believe in science. I certainly do," [Huckabee] said. "In fact, what I believe in is, I believe in God. I don't think there's a conflict between the two. But if there's going to be a conflict, science changes with every generation and with new discoveries and God doesn't. So I'll stick with God if the two are in conflict."

It sounds like he thinks change is bad when it comes to science.

Evolutionary biology is a key foundation for modern biomedical research and these studies need increased funding now more than ever. :D Considering his comments on AIDS back in '92, I can't help feeling concerned about where he would put federal funds.

But if Chuck Norris shows up at my door, Huckabee gets my vote. :D