[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

High Definition Media war is all but over now..

Avernus

Not hung up, but we are talking about HD content correct? I don't see anything on the horizon that can support HD over a wireless signal..............I'm not uptodate on this, but haven't heard anything. Right now all we have is 100mbps, you'll need 300mbps for HD and that is only going to be had using hard wires for quite some time, imo. It's hard to support more then one pc doing a download or gaming right now without business class high speed and that's hard wired.

I hope that future is near, as having a wireless signal strong enough to game-download and surf would be outstanding ! ! Also great for network file transfers

DirectTV provides a satellite HD signal already. The option coming up for people like sky is buying that $150 or so extra card or buy the 350.00 Blu Ray player to play only rentable or buyable media.

Also, on a pro level 100MBps via mpeg2 is HD.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there will always be a place for media to be purchased...

you have to consider how many GB it takes to download a movie in HD....

plus the fact that the BDA (Blu-ray disc association) should be announcing a 100GB disc sometime this weekend and that is where you could store your movies off the download service...

MS funded HD-DVD when they were essentially never going to take off so people would be on the fence about HD media and wait and wait...

and then when VOD came out....MS would look all clean because it takes away all the confusion...

but the confusion exists no longer...and I don't think VOD in HD will be a possibility for another 4or 5 years....

plus the fact that the BDA (Blu-ray disc association) should be announcing a 100GB disc sometime this weekend and that is where you could store your movies off the download service...

But this is where I'm saying 'media' won't matter in the physical sense: I can create an mpeg2 transport stream that is fully HD and runs at 25MBps. Any film more than easily fits on a 50GB disk already, so what does a 100GB disk get me? THe same film with more extra space. Is there really that much EXTRA content that isn't being shown already they'll have room for?

Also, hard drives are getting down to less than 25 cents per Gig. Is the 100GB disk going to be $25.00? Mayeb eventually, but given that blank BDRs cost over $40.00 right now that price point is a ways off.

But this is where I'm saying 'media' won't matter in the physical sense: I can create an mpeg2 transport stream that is fully HD and runs at 25MBps. Any film more than easily fits on a 50GB disk already, so what does a 100GB disk get me? THe same film with more extra space. Is there really that much EXTRA content that isn't being shown already they'll have room for?

Also, hard drives are getting down to less than 25 cents per Gig. Is the 100GB disk going to be $25.00? Mayeb eventually, but given that blank BDRs cost over $40.00 right now that price point is a ways off.

Before BluRay even becomes mainstream , holographic data storage will be introduced and whipe out the use for bluray for storage. Your talking over 300GB's per disc at 150 times the speed of transfer rate of the current dvd. This is said to be on the market by 2010

Before BluRay even becomes mainstream , holographic data storage will be introduced and whipe out the use for bluray for storage. Your talking over 300GB's per disc at 150 times the speed of transfer rate of the current dvd. This is said to be on the market by 2010

Keep in mind it's not simply hardware. it's also the compression sofware: if you create a 'normal' HD quicktime, it needs to run at 100MBps to be considered HD - and you'd have to run it off a RAID. If you use an mpeg2 codec, you reduce the rate to 25MBps but still are in the HD quality range but it's decompression codec maintains the look of 100+MBps.

Those algorithms will no doubt get better, reducing the rate and the need for storage as the storage media grows.

I think we're a little further away from this than 2010....

and the VOD stuff...isn't Microsoft behind that?...

I really need to see what VOD offers before I even consider it an alternative...

everyone says that people don't care about top notch HD media....but it's sort of like computers and music...

10 years ago nobody cared about having a top notch computer...you were considered a :D if you used a computer a lot...

now it's the norm...

this holiday season...a lot of people made the jump to high def and when people become accustomed to high def....I guarantee you that people will want the upgrade...

people even say now that high def is pointless because they don't know what it offers and it is too expensive at this point...

we just have to wait and see....because it seems like everyone is trying to become the successor to DVD and I think you have to have a quality product and an early jump on the competition to not become the next laserdisc or divx....

if even half of the HDTV owners purchase a Blu-ray player or a PS3 by the end of 2008....then I don't know how the next format can come in and gain momentum afterwards....

momentum is half the battle..

Not at all. Regular DVDs will continue to sell and be popular.

This is just about the high-def format war between Blu-ray and HD-DVD.

Blu-ray with a larger storage capacity, and the support of Sony... a major manufacturer of devices and a copyright holder of major motion picture studios... is going to win. Big surprise.

Nope. Well... you wont be able to get over-the-air broadcasts on an old TV soon without a new digital antenna device, but that 's a different issue altogether.

I have a HD ready TV and HD DirecTv. When I bought them I also bought the antenna to get the local channels HD broadcasts. For some reason I am in a terrible area and that didn't work out too swell. But I thought that was all about TV and everyone having to go to HD by a certain year.

As long as I can go buy a DVD and watch it I could pretty much give a care about Blu-ray and HD-DVD. I'm happy with what I have. LOL

Thanks Atomic.

I have a HD ready TV and HD DirecTv. When I bought them I also bought the antenna to get the local channels HD broadcasts. For some reason I am in a terrible area and that didn't work out too swell. But I thought that was all about TV and everyone having to go to HD by a certain year.

As long as I can go buy a DVD and watch it I could pretty much give a care about Blu-ray and HD-DVD. I'm happy with what I have. LOL

Thanks Atomic.

also they aren't going HD by a certain point..

you need a TV capable of handling digital broadcasts by February 2009 or else you would have to pay more for a set top box.....everyone thought that they were going to make HD mandatory but that was a myth to get people to purchase HD sets..

also...did you read the footnote to the title of the thread?...this topic may not be for you...it's kind of like me posting in a H8 thread...I just don't belong :D

also...did you read the footnote to the title of the thread?...this topic may not be for you...it's kind of like me posting in a H8 thread...I just don't belong :D

LOL Probably true... :D but it read like I was not going to be able to get DVD movies anymore.... and I wanted to know.

LOL Probably true... :D but it read like I was not going to be able to get DVD movies anymore.... and I wanted to know.

ahaha nah, DVD will be around for some time...

HD-DVD's presence stalled Blu-ray and helped DVD stay around longer...

the studio's want to phase out DVD by around 2010 when a strong number of people own a HDTV....

by 2012 DVD should be viewed as VHS is viewed now....and we may have multiple formats being the successor to DVD....

ahaha nah, DVD will be around for some time...

HD-DVD's presence stalled Blu-ray and helped DVD stay around longer...

the studio's want to phase out DVD by around 2010 when a strong number of people own a HDTV....

by 2012 DVD should be viewed as VHS is viewed now....and we may have multiple formats being the successor to DVD....

Ahh.... well, I have reel-to-reel, LP's, 45's, 78's, cassettes, (got rid of my 8-tracks), CD's, and music DVD's..... then I have Beta, VHS, and now DVD's. I think I won't worry about something that is going to happen in 2012. LOL

Edited by skylive5

Ahh.... well, I have reel-to-reel, LP's, 45's, 78's, cassettes, (got rid of my 8-tracks), CD's, and music DVD's..... then I have Beta, VHS, and now DVD's. I think I won't worry about something that is going to happen in 2012. LOL

yeah this topic and talk of technology doesn't concern you...

if you excluded DVD's from that list I would have asked you if you lived in one of them 3rd world countries that is behind in technology except for the fact that they have laptops that connect to the internet :D

yeah this topic and talk of technology doesn't concern you...

if you excluded DVD's from that list I would have asked you if you lived in one of them 3rd world countries that is behind in technology except for the fact that they have laptops that connect to the internet :D

Not as dumb as you may think my friend.

(ETC: Sometimes my fingers get ahead of my brain... hopefully not many read that bit of garbage.)

Edited by skylive5

MS funded HD-DVD when they were essentially never going to take off so people would be on the fence about HD media and wait and wait...

and then when VOD came out....MS would look all clean because it takes away all the confusion...

but the confusion exists no longer...and I don't think VOD in HD will be a possibility for another 4or 5 years....

Microsoft also owns the vc-1 codec used in some blu-ray players. As usual, Microsoft has backup plans. I think Popeflick is probably right about physical media. I haven't purchased a DVD in a long time for myself. I've bought them for my son, but that's only because he likes to be able to pick them out.

It's the same idea with CDs and MP3s. Once the structure is in place for downloads, it seems people prefer them. It's more of a pain in the arse to buy a CD now than to download music. I can stream the music around my house. I don't have to worry about scratched discs or lost discs. :D I went through a lot of copies of Check Your Head and Paul's Boutique back in the day.

While TiVo and DVRs aren't the same thing, they're similar enough. When we were just on vacation, my son couldn't understand why Dora wasn't on the tv in the hotel room (he's three). I'm the same way when some artists aren't available for download on music sites.

I still think this Blu-ray and HD-DVD debate is much ado about nothing and another case of DVD audio vs SACD. They're both still out there. Both sound great, but CDs sound good too. HD-DVD and Blu-ray look great, but DVD looks good too. As a storage medium, blu-ray is more interesting to me.

Microsoft also owns the vc-1 codec used in some blu-ray players. As usual, Microsoft has backup plans. I think Popeflick is probably right about physical media. I haven't purchased a DVD in a long time for myself. I've bought them for my son, but that's only because he likes to be able to pick them out.

It's the same idea with CDs and MP3s. Once the structure is in place for downloads, it seems people prefer them. It's more of a pain in the arse to buy a CD now than to download music. I can stream the music around my house. I don't have to worry about scratched discs or lost discs. :D I went through a lot of copies of Check Your Head and Paul's Boutique back in the day.

While TiVo and DVRs aren't the same thing, they're similar enough. When we were just on vacation, my son couldn't understand why Dora wasn't on the tv in the hotel room (he's three). I'm the same way when some artists aren't available for download on music sites.

I still think this Blu-ray and HD-DVD debate is much ado about nothing and another case of DVD audio vs SACD. They're both still out there. Both sound great, but CDs sound good too. HD-DVD and Blu-ray look great, but DVD looks good too. As a storage medium, blu-ray is more interesting to me.

VC-1 is sometimes used on Blu-ray...

MPEG-4 is where we're at and where we're headed...

9 times out of 10 VC-1 transfers look soft (Deja Vu looked really good)....MPEG-4 or AVC codecs offer a much better transfer and are currently being used for DTV and will be the future...

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Motorol...-Set-Tops-90658

there is only 1 Disney release on Blu-ray that has used VC-1 (Santa Clause 3) and no Sony or Fox titles....

Warner/Lionsgate etc. use VC-1 more because that is what HD-DVD prefers...

VC-1 probably won't live past 2008...it's just flat out inferior...

ahaha I was just bustin balls...

but I think you knew that :D

Why I deleted all that drivel.... :wacko:

Sometimes I wish I was up a bit more on the latest and greatest things though.... but then somehow it just doesn't seem all that important anymore.

Kinda wish I hadn't got rid of my 8-tracks. I think they make a comeback. :D

Why I deleted all that drivel.... :wacko:

Sometimes I wish I was up a bit more on the latest and greatest things though.... but then somehow it just doesn't seem all that important anymore.

Kinda wish I hadn't got rid of my 8-tracks. I think they make a comeback. :D

I honestly just want to go back to generic style...

no cable...no internet ...no cell phone

but I just...can't at this point :D