[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Unattended babies and swimming pools

Riffraff

That is a terrifying thing. I would be WAY WAY more comfortable with doing everything possible to prevent a child from getting into that situation than relying on the kid to remember to roll and float on his back. Not to take away anything from what is trying to save lives, but it just seems like a really odd thing to teach your kid. Like how to dodge cars on the freeway or something. Mostly my stomach just turns as soon as there is a pool and an unattended child. I literally could not stand to watch that.

If babies are capable of learning to swim at an early age, why not teach them? That was pretty f'n impressive if you ask me. My only concern would be that if your small child is so comfortable in the water as to not need your help, whats to stop them from going for a pleasure swim when you're not watching?

... if your small child is so comfortable in the water as to not need your help, whats to stop them from going for a pleasure swim when you're not watching?

That is actually a very good point.

If babies are capable of learning to swim at an early age, why not teach them? That was pretty f'n impressive if you ask me. My only concern would be that if your small child is so comfortable in the water as to not need your help, whats to stop them from going for a pleasure swim when you're not watching?

And that's the point! I read an article about this several years ago. It dealt w/ 3-5 yo. The claim was that they get TOO comfortable in the water, and the "turn over" reflex does not kick-in and they drown. I don't buy it.

Here's one article the gives the DON'Ts....