[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We're all doomed

detlef

I just can't understand what our fascination with "free" stuff is. Earlier today, I was at Costco and I grabbed the hot dog and a soda for $1.50 special they have. That's a damned fine hot dog if I may add. None the less, I digress. At any rate, I was putting mustard and onions on my dog and started looking around for the straw dispenser. It used to be right there next to the napkins and condiments. Somebody who worked there told me they moved it back near the registers "because people were taking like 5 or 6 straws every time". WHY THE HELL DO PEOPLE NEED TO GRAB 5 OR 6 STRAWS?!? Enough, it seems to warrant Costco management to determine they have to move the freaking dispenser?

It reminded me of an experience I had at a street fair this past summer. I was selling Mexican-style Agua Frescas to help promote my upcoming restaurant in downtown Durham. I was selling them for, I believe, $1. I had the following exchange in some form or another with an alarming number of people:

"Are they free?"

"Nope, but they only cost $1"

"Do you have anything that's free?"

"Sorry, all I have today are these Agua Frescas, Mexican Juices basically, and they cost $1"

"What about those," pointing to the stack of menus I have showing what we'll be serving at the new place. "Are those free?"

"The menus?"

"Ya"

"Sure, they're just there for people to take." I say rather puzzled.

"So I can have a few?"

"Of course"

So dude grabs like 5. Now, of course I had plenty and it was certainly my hope that people would take them. But the whole thing was just perplexing. I mean, no less than 15 or so people came up to me that day just looking to see if I had anything they could just help themselves to. My free goods, it turns out, were menus, so they took menus. I have to think the minute they got home, they threw them right away. It's just that they couldn't help themselves.

Are we so addicted to consumption that we'll just take as much of whatever we can get our hands on, even if we have no intention what-so-ever of using it? Is it our way of "getting our money's worth". I mean, the straws are there for the taking. If you just take one, it's like leaving money on the table, right?

I knew a girl who was a manager at a Kinko's in NYC. One day a bum came in, picked up and stole a paper cutter. You know, one of those big heavy 3 foot by 3 foot boards with a chopping blade attached to the right side. Probably weighs about 30 pounds. Just walked in and took the thing. WHAT IN THE HELL WAS HE GOING TO DO WITH IT?? Every paper cutter in her store from then on was chained to the countertop.

I knew a girl who was a manager at a Kinko's in NYC. One day a bum came in, picked up and stole a paper cutter. You know, one of those big heavy 3 foot by 3 foot boards with a chopping blade attached to the right side. Probably weighs about 30 pounds. Just walked in and took the thing. WHAT IN THE HELL WAS HE GOING TO DO WITH IT?? Every paper cutter in her store from then on was chained to the countertop.

Maybe he was a homeless mohel?

it's amazing the chit people will buy if a t-shirt is included for free...

:wacko:

I feel like I'm one of the 5 people on earth that can see through that garbage "promotion"

The only reason I "signed-up" for credit cards my freshman year was the "free" t-shirt's they were giving away. The hot young college girls handing them out may have had something to do with it too :D but the word "free" got my attention at 18 when I was totally broke. Took me almost 6 years to pay those damn things off!!

The only reason I "signed-up" for credit cards my freshman year was the "free" t-shirt's they were giving away. The hot young college girls handing them out may have had something to do with it too :wacko: but the word "free" got my attention at 18 when I was totally broke. Took me almost 6 years to pay those damn things off!!

HEY....I didn't mention anything about a hot young female offering them....

that happens sometimes..

it's amazing the chit people will buy if a t-shirt is included for free...

:wacko:

I feel like I'm one of the 5 people on earth that can see through that garbage "promotion"

Right now I think I may run a "free t-shirt" promotion to get rid of some of mine.