[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sammy Hits #499 And Wins NL Homerun Title

Guest Pratts

Quite a feat when the guy behind him only hits 3 less, wins the batting title with .370, and walks 198 times. :D

I'm also fond of the hr/so ratio:

Bonds- 46/47

Sosa- 49/144

And slugging %:

Bonds- .799

Sosa- .593

Oh, yeah OBP:

Bonds- .581

Sosa- .399

Go Giants!

But, I did want to see Sammy hit his 50th this year to give him 6 consecutive with 50+.

Bier Meister:

Quite a feat when the guy behind him only hits 3 less, wins the batting title with .370, and walks 198 times.     :D  

I'm also fond of the hr/so ratio:

Bonds- 46/47

Sosa- 49/144

And slugging %:

Bonds- .799

Sosa- .593

Oh, yeah OBP:

Bonds- .581

Sosa- .399

Go Giants!

But, I did want to see Sammy hit his 50th this year to give him 6 consecutive with 50+.

Hey Beer Man, I love both of these guys. Have every card made of each. That said you forgot the most important stat. The "CC" stat :Clubhouse Cancer : Bonds 150%, Sosa 0%.

Guest Pratts
Bier Meister:

Quite a feat when the guy behind him only hits 3 less, wins the batting title with .370, and walks 198 times.     :D  

I don't get the rolleyes. Barry Bonds is the unanimous NL MVP, no questions at all.

I was just mentioning that Sammy is at 499 in career and won the NL homerun title.

Although I would like to see how Sammy would do having Jeff Kent in front of him instead of a broken down Moises Alou or a disinterested Fred McGriff.

The roll eyes was exactly that. 49 hrs is this decade seems trivial. Winning the HR crown doesn't seem to carry the same weight when the guy you are up against is only getting maybe 1-2 ab's per game. The Cubbies line-up is not deprived of power. Crimedog still got you 30/103. Alou still got 15/61 in 132 games. Kent didn't start doing well until he hit in front of Barry this year. Even when Benito started to come around in the five spot BB still got the walk.

So- I am impressed with his run at 6 season at 50 (49 is close enough in my book). But I'm not with this particular batting title. And as a cub fan you should know how many times Sammy went yard in meaningless situations. He would get decent pitches late in the game, which was not the case for "Mr. CC."

BTW- how many other great hitter in history have not been receptive to the press? Not nearly the cancer they make him out to be. No, don't know him personally- but know a SF talk show host from highschool well. Things get magnified and overanalized.

Oh yeah- sha, are you forgetting the termoil SS was causing by questioning management and talking about leaving..... I think your percentages are disproportionate.

Guest Pratts
Bier Meister:

The Cubbies line-up is not deprived of power.  Crimedog still got you 30/103.  Alou still got 15/61 in 132 games

McGriff had the softest 30 HR 103 RBI imaginable.

I don't think he had a meaningful hit all year. The Cubs lost over 30 games by one run this year and McGriff was at the plate a lot of times and had the chance to alter that dreadful stat--and never seemed to come through.

Alou didn't cross the Mendoza until almost the Fourth of July.

If all this wasn't bad enough the Cubs traded away Eric Hinske for a relief pitcher who blew out his shoulder. They did this because they thought Bill Mueller was their 3rd baseman of the future. angry

They ended up trading him back to San Fran for another non-prospect.

Anyway, there is a strong rumor in Chicago that if the Giants get eliminated in the first round, Dusty Baker won't be offered a new contract, and the Cubs will then come after him hard.

I would love that. Him or Buck Showalter. If Dusty comes I hope he convinces Jeff Kent to come with him.

There are a decent amount of holes to fill. Dusty could help any franchise. Kent would only be 1 part of the puzzle. If I were a Cubs fan, I'd be encouraged by the starting rotation. need some help in later innings though.

Good Luck..............

Not a Cub's fan, a very frustrated Dodger and Angel fan.

No doubt Barry gets MVP hands down. Yes SS was a liitle boy in the case you posed. Rick Reilly wrote a very interesting article, albiet slanted last year on the Gents and their clubhouse etc. I'll try to find it and post it. Let's just put it this way BB isn't well liked by at least 20 of the other 24 players on that team. Still the most lethal hitter to come down the pike in many years.

Baker?, Manager of the year, year in year out.